Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Question about clarity, filter it?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2008, 03:47 PM   #11
Liquidicem
I love lamp!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Liquidicem's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Eagan, MN
Posts: 712
Default

I would also advise not using the spigot to transfer from the primary fermenter if you have a lot of particles at the bottom that you are worried about. You can use a siphon to pull all of the cleared beer out of the bucket and leave the chunks behind on the bottom.

edit: I see Bobby_M already suggested the siphon. I really need to read all the details in peoples posts before I comment. It's Monday morning.... need more coffee.

__________________
Squirrel House Brewing
Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher
Don't poop in your fermenter when the lid is off and you'll be fine.
Liquidicem is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2008, 03:53 PM   #12
blacklab
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
blacklab's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Portland, ME
Posts: 2,395
Liked 37 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

I believe that it's been beaten to death, but I'll throw in as well - rack to secondary. Good ol' gravity will clear it right up in a week or so. Since you are a new-ish brewer, you probably don't have a keezer or such set up for cold crashing, but you can just stick the secondary carboy out in the garage, or other cooler spot around the house to help the process.

If you plan on sticking around this forum, do yourself a favor and listen to the guys with a bunch of posts, or 'moderator' next to their names. They generally know what they are talking about.

__________________
blacklab is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2008, 04:13 PM   #13
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Revvy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Detroitish" Michigan
Posts: 40,804
Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Default

If you are using an autosiphon (and if you are you shouldn't be afraid of racking...it's dead easy-especially if you practice with water) the holes in the bottom of the autosiphon sits above the trub, and the holes tend to keep most of the big chunks out....If you really feel that that is not enough you can use a piece of hopsack or other netting and 2 rubber bands and wrap it around the bottom of the autosiphon...just be sure to sanitize the netting and the rubberbands first...

But honestly, I'm sure your beers are no more "chunkier" than ours and most of the time just racking from primary to secondary, and secondary to bottling bucket is enough for us....

__________________

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Revvy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2008, 04:14 PM   #14
Danek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sheffield, UK
Posts: 1,276
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Default

+1 to everything Bobby_M said. Rack to secondary. It'll really help.

BTW, do you have an autosiphon? I cannot recommend them highly enough - they make siphoning incredibly easy and painless, and they're pretty cheap (about $12 over here). Having tried one, I'd never ever ever go back.

[EDIT: Ah! I see Revvy got there first...]

__________________
Bottle conditioning: Pliny the Elder clone; Tramp's Overcoat Barley Wine
Next up: Vanilla Porter
Danek is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2008, 02:51 AM   #15
BryanZ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 50
Default

I have a racking cane

ok maybe this is what I don't understand

if the chunks are sitting at the bottom of the primary, when I siphon it to the secondary won't the chunks just come with it? I mean am I supposed to slowly move the cane down until it reaches the "chunk" zone and then stop?

My spigot sits about 2" above the bottom, and there are a lot of chunks

2" in a five gallon bucket is a lot of beer to waste

I have 3 or 4 good friends that can't wait to try it, and all of them told me before I started brewing

friends: "I've had a homebrew before, it was good but they had all these chunks in it"

me: "there will be no chunks in my beer!"

I've done a lot of reading, I know how to siphon, but how exactly do you siphon the good beer and not the sediment?

__________________
BryanZ is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2008, 03:24 AM   #16
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
Bobby_M's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Whitehouse Station, NJ
Posts: 22,202
Liked 1044 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default

Yes, careful racking leaves most sediment behind. It's why it's done at all. The racking cane probably came with a little diverter cap that slips on to the bottom to keeping the majority of trub from getting into the cane.

Comments about sediment in homebrew are typical. Bottle carbing leaves a small sediment layer in the bottle which is why you have to decant into a glass. Another reason why kegging rules.

__________________
BrewHardware.com has a new website. Please check it out and let me know what you think!
New 100% Stainless Steel Heating Elements are IN!
Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?
Bobby_M is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2008, 03:39 AM   #17
cd2448
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
cd2448's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Haddonfield, NJ
Posts: 603
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanZ
I have a racking cane

ok maybe this is what I don't understand

if the chunks are sitting at the bottom of the primary, when I siphon it to the secondary won't the chunks just come with it? I mean am I supposed to slowly move the cane down until it reaches the "chunk" zone and then stop?

My spigot sits about 2" above the bottom, and there are a lot of chunks

2" in a five gallon bucket is a lot of beer to waste
...
There should be a plastic cap for the racking cane that will make sure you don't filter up the trub from the primary to the secondary. If you don't have one already - get an auto siphon, it makes the whole thing 100 times easier. So once you move the beer to secondary, there's less junk in there, there's no fermentation going on - so it's really still in there and the beer will clear nicely.

The spigot might be 2" above the bottom of the bucket, but it's not acrually 2" of beer - the base is thick, there is an air gap below the bucket, so you won't be wasting as much beer as you think.

Your homebrew may not, in any case, turn out totally clear, but it shouldn't have "lumps" in it - unless these guys are pouring the whole bottle out. You need to leave the last 1/4" or so in the bottle because it contains the yeast that provided the carbonation. Unless you're drinking Hefeweizen - in which case - yeast em up.
__________________
new to the kegging lark.
cd2448 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2008, 03:41 AM   #18
Newfermenter1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Newfermenter1's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Co. Kc.
Posts: 56
Likes Given: 6

Default

Send in a picture! I am sure you are trying to describe the yeast cake sediment, but if you can post a picture, perhaps someone can tell you what you are seeing, and calm the anxiety. Alot of good folks here who want you to relax, and have . . .

__________________
Twin Oaks Brewery

"A mind stretched by a new experience can never return to its old dimensions"
Newfermenter1 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2008, 03:51 AM   #19
The Pol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 11,774
Liked 75 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default

I have never seen chunky homebrew

__________________
The Pol is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2008, 05:11 AM   #20
BryanZ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfermenter1
Send in a picture! I am sure you are trying to describe the yeast cake sediment, but if you can post a picture, perhaps someone can tell you what you are seeing, and calm the anxiety. Alot of good folks here who want you to relax, and have . . .
lol, when I said I wouldn't have chunks in my beer, i didn't just say it, I stated it like I would die before I let anything other then liquid and gas in my bottle.

I really really don't like failing, even if it is my first batch....sorry for the stress, I've never met a homebrewer that wasn't laid back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd2448
There should be a plastic cap for the racking cane that will make sure you don't filter up the trub from the primary to the secondary. If you don't have one already - get an auto siphon, it makes the whole thing 100 times easier. So once you move the beer to secondary, there's less junk in there, there's no fermentation going on - so it's really still in there and the beer will clear nicely.

The spigot might be 2" above the bottom of the bucket, but it's not acrually 2" of beer - the base is thick, there is an air gap below the bucket, so you won't be wasting as much beer as you think.

Your homebrew may not, in any case, turn out totally clear, but it shouldn't have "lumps" in it - unless these guys are pouring the whole bottle out. You need to leave the last 1/4" or so in the bottle because it contains the yeast that provided the carbonation. Unless you're drinking Hefeweizen - in which case - yeast em up.
ah, this just pretty much solved my entire problem...

all I kept reading was in various threads was, "just transfer it to the secondary" while I'm sratching my head thinking "how in the hell is just moving the liquid from one container to another going to get rid of any sediment"

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
Yes, careful racking leaves most sediment behind. It's why it's done at all. The racking cane probably came with a little diverter cap that slips on to the bottom to keeping the majority of trub from getting into the cane.

Comments about sediment in homebrew are typical. Bottle carbing leaves a small sediment layer in the bottle which is why you have to decant into a glass. Another reason why kegging rules.
thanks man, I never knew about the diverter cap, ill have to look in my kit again

see you and cd2448 on sunday
__________________
BryanZ is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Midwest Beer Clarity Filter System michael.berta Equipment/Sanitation 2 06-21-2009 02:51 AM
Midwest Gift Certificate = Clarity Filter System BierMuncher Equipment/Sanitation 23 06-15-2008 12:10 AM
Question on clarity Limited Visibility General Techniques 3 05-17-2008 12:53 PM
Clarity Question OblivionsGate Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 13 11-13-2007 03:08 PM
Clarity Question andylegate Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 8 09-01-2006 10:31 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS