Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Question about clarity, filter it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2008, 09:36 PM   #1
BryanZ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Question about clarity, filter it?

I don't trust myself transfering into the secondary fermentor on my first batch. Its been in the primary for two weeks now

I went to take a gravity ready from the spigot, and there are lots of small particles floating around in the beer, I really really do not want this stuff in my bottles, how can I get rid of these.

Two weeks of not being moved and they have not settled on the bottom.

What can I do?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2008, 09:50 PM   #2
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 68

You might be getting some bits from the bottom of the fermenter that will clear after a little bit comes out. It is easy to rack the beer to secondary. I would recommend doing that. Then if you get some chunks into the secondary, they will fall out. You will then rack clear beer into your bottling bucket.

Cheers,
Rich

Old 03-29-2008, 10:02 PM   #3
Professor Frink

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

After a week in secondary, the beer will be much clearer.

Rich, you're one away from 5,000

On tap:Amber Ale
Milk Stout

Lagering:

http://www.lazydogbrewery.com

Old 03-30-2008, 02:07 AM   #4
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

Anyone mention cold crashing it? Just like placing bottles in the fridge, it will get much clearer, much faster.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:36 PM   #5
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

If you don't trust yourself getting it into secondary, how can you trust yourself to rack it to the bottling bucket?

racking is an important part of brewing, so you may as well start becoming a pro at it sooner rather than later.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 03-30-2008, 05:42 PM   #6
Laurel

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'd be more worried about encountering issues with sanitation by filtering it than by racking it. Just be sure to thoroughly star-san everything. I've never had any problems with it.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:44 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

The purpose of racking is to remove the fermented and partially cleared beer from the trub, making it easier to finish clearing. If it is not clear enough after racking and settling for two more weeks, you can use finings to finish it.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-31-2008, 02:07 PM   #8
BryanZ
Recipes 

how will these chunks dissapear from simply moving it to the secondary? I mean they will just get tranfered into the second batch and then to the bottle.

They aren't just going to dissapear, its like pulp in OJ....not quite that thick, but you get the idea

I think I might just cut the bottom off of a 2 litre bottle and put a couple woman's stocking in it and run the beer through that, maybe i did something wrong when I was boiling the wort, but there are a lot of chunks in there, I really don't see how a secondary fermenter will get rid of them.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:31 PM   #9
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 984 Times on 656 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Bryan,

Please trust the huge amount of collective experience advising you to rack the beer to secondary or at least NOT filter it.

You drew off a sample from the spigot and I think the chunks you got were things that settled to the bottom. Some of it just got inside the horizontal tube of the spigot. This test sample is not at all indicative of the clarity of the beer in the whole bucket. Go ahead and draw another small sample and let it sit overnight. I guarentee the beer will be clearer and the "chunks" will be sitting on the bottom (unless the beer is still fermenting).

When you rack either to secondary or the bottling bucket, you siphon from an area above all this sediment.

Running this beer through any kind of filter is just bad news. You're going to oxidize the hell out of it.

My advice, if you haven't already done anything, is to either wait another week and go to the bottling bucket from there or rack to a secondary vessel for 2 weeks then to the bottling bucket.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 03-31-2008, 02:38 PM   #10
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If they are hops particles, you can filter it relatively safely by securing a hop bag or pantyhose (I guess) to the end of your hose.

Don't be afraid of your beer. You are the BREWER!!!!

BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Quick Reply