Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Question about chilling wort...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
jwk1972
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Question about chilling wort...

Hey all! Just found the forum today and was excited to find all this info in one place (I'm kind of a forum junkie). Anyhow, I have a question... I'm just about to start my first brew with the "Brewers Best" kit and got to reading the procedures last night. When chilling the wort how do you recommend doing it? Is the submersion chiller worth the 60 bucks or is there another method used? I know the instructions said to put the hot wort in ice water but apparently that takes a very long time. With that method do you submerge the pot you boiled in or do you transfer to the fermentation bucket and then chill?

Thanks in advance for the help! If this turns out as good as my neighbors first batch in his Mr. Beer kit I'm going to be a happy camper!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 06:48 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1911 Times on 1682 Posts
Likes Given: 1415

Just put the brew kettle in the sink,lid on is safer. Fill the empty space with cold water for a couple minutes to knock off some of the initial heat. Drain sink,re-plug,& fill empty space to the top of the sink with ice. Then top that off with cold water. Stir wort in pot occasionally. It should cool down to 70 in about 20 minutes. 20 minutes or less is good to virtually eliminate chill haze at fridge time.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:48 PM   #3
PIGMAN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 13

You submerge the pot you boiled in, and while that method does work, the immersion chiller is so much faster. Personally, I think it's worth the money. Which kit are you brewing?

Old 01-31-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
RobbyBeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I built my own wort chiller.. All the parts can be bought at local hardware store for around $20.. I also found a method to tackle two birds with one stone.. I chill my wort with the chiller to half the desired temp, then I transfer wort to my 5 gal bucket with the spicket on the bottom.
I open the drain and allow wort to fall about 3 feet into primary fermenter. This chills wort while oxygenating it. Saves time.. I've even skipped the wort chiller completely and went straight to the "falling chill method"...
The slower it falls into the primary the faster it will chill

Old 01-31-2012, 06:59 PM   #5
Tinga
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Immersion chillers can be made by yourself for a little cheaper but I would say an ice bath is a good way to do it initially.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:05 PM   #6
daz57992
Recipes 

I Made a chiller last week for about £25 and it works fantastic !

Old 01-31-2012, 07:05 PM   #7
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
Just put the brew kettle in the sink,lid on is safer. Fill the empty space with cold water for a couple minutes to knock off some of the initial heat. Drain sink,re-plug,& fill empty space to the top of the sink with ice. Then top that off with cold water. Stir wort in pot occasionally. It should cool down to 70 in about 20 minutes. 20 minutes or less is good to virtually eliminate chill haze at fridge time.
^ This is exactly what I do and I have easily cooled my 3.5 gal partial boils down to 67 degrees in under 20 minutes. it does take 16 lbs of ice to do it though at $2.50 per bag of ice (unless you have an ice maker)...so buying ice in the long run a wort chiller makes sense.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:05 PM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1911 Times on 1682 Posts
Likes Given: 1415

Yup. As long as you chill it down to 65-70F in 20 minutes or less,you'll get little or no chill haze at fridge time. Most effective with partial boils where a $60+ wort chiller isn't an initial must have. I've read guys on here that got no faster chill than my all ice ice bath method. Or maybe cut no more than 5 minutes off. But if you're doing full boils,it's a necessity.
We get 22lb bags of ice for about $4. Not to mention,with wort chiller coils you're at the mercy of the water's temperature.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:06 PM   #9
jwk1972
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIGMAN
You submerge the pot you boiled in, and while that method does work, the immersion chiller is so much faster. Personally, I think it's worth the money. Which kit are you brewing?
I'm doing the Brewers Best Weisenbier, it's similar to the one my buddy did and I loved it. I figure if it came out that good with a cheaper kit I'd step it up a notch. Not trying to say anything bad about Mr Beer because his brew was awesome.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:08 PM   #10
ravhawk2000
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I started chilling with ice and it took quite a while to do so, depending on time of year and how much ice and such. Too many variables IMO. You want that wort to get down to pitch temp asap to prevent bacteria getting in and contaminating the wort. It certainly is a cheap, easy method to do and your choice. However, I use an immersion chiller on all my brews and I can say without a doubt I could never go without it. It does it in a fraction of the time, especially if you stir while it chills and you get get the yeast pitched. The only thing better would be a counterflow chiller, which I will probably use once my eHERMS is done. Just my 2 cents worth on the matter.

http://www.hemlibrewingco.com

Quick Reply