New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Question about Bottling.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 06:51 PM   #1
Mooseman923
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Question about Bottling.

I'm preparing to make a batch of Apfelwein and I've got a question about bottling. I'm planning on bottling after 3 months. I have the fermenting equipment, but I don't have any of the bottling equipment. I really don't want to have to buy a kit with the fermenting equipment, so could anyone make a list of the items that I would need for bottling, besides a bottling bucket and bottles. Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2011, 06:53 PM   #2
dos_perros
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Tubing, caps and a capper or corks, cages and corker if your going that route.

Bottled: AHS Belgian White Ale
OnDeck: Something with fruit for the wife....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
I love having breakfast for dinner. It's one time I can have beer with my breakfast without feeling like a drunk.
"From man’s sweat and God’s love, beer came into the world."
–Saint Arnold of Metz, The patron Saint of Brewers

Old 02-17-2011, 06:55 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3451

Besides what 2 dogs said above also a bottling wand.

You can look through the info and pics in My bottling tips thread to get an idea of what you'll need.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-17-2011, 06:58 PM   #4
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Depends on the type of bottles you'll be using... If you go with Grolsch style, then you're almost done... If you go with Belgian style, you'll need/want a corker (floor corker being preferred), corks and cages (and the cage wire winding tool)... Otherwise, get a capper (wing or bench-top) for capping the bottles.

The only other thing I can think of that you'll need, besides a bottling wand (spring loaded tip) would be a good scale. Measure your priming sugar by weight, not volume. If you already have an auto-siphon, then you're set in that department... You should have everything else you'll need to bottle brew...

Personally, I skipped the capper when I got my first HB kit... Started with Grolsch bottles from brew 1, and haven't looked back. I am also starting to use the Belgian bottles, for my bigger beers. Big as in BarleyWine, Old Ale, maybe even the Strong Scotch Ale that was started on Sunday...

Old 02-17-2011, 07:02 PM   #5
Mooseman923
Recipes 

I probably going to use the Grolsch bottles to save hassle and re use the caps. Should I buy the bottles put together or can I just attach those flipper caps to any beer bottles?

Last edited by Mooseman923; 02-17-2011 at 07:11 PM.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:13 PM   #6
rustym
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Read through the link that Revvy provided!! I did and my first bottling experience was fun and very easy. The bottling wand attached to my spigot with a dip tube in the bucket worked like a charm. I had about a half a bottle left and drank it!

I am now at day 11 since I bottled and just got through looking at one of my bottles. Clearing up more and more each day.

Bottling does not have to be hard.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:17 PM   #7
Valcarde
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseman923 View Post
I probably going to use the Grolsch bottles to save hassle and re use the caps. Should I buy the bottles put together or can I just attach those flipper caps to any beer bottles?
The 'flipper' caps you mention normally need small dimples int he neck of the bottles to hold the wire bits in place.

Depending on how much you're paying per bottle, though, you may be served buying the actual Grolsch (if you like it) and drinking it and keeping the bottles. The one caveat is, as they are green bottles, you'll really have to keep them out of the light... But if it's for Apfelwein, it won't matter.
Carboy 3: Choco-Caramel Amber Ale

Old 02-17-2011, 07:17 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3451

Thanks Rusty, glad my thread helped.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-17-2011, 07:21 PM   #9
Mooseman923
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valcarde View Post
The 'flipper' caps you mention normally need small dimples int he neck of the bottles to hold the wire bits in place.

Depending on how much you're getting per bottle, though, you may be served buying the actual Grolsch (if you like it) and drinking it and keeping the bottles. The one caveat is, as they are green bottles, you'll really have to keep them out of the light... But if it's for Apfelwein, it won't matter.
Thanks! I guess I'm off to buy Grolsch!

Old 02-17-2011, 07:25 PM   #10
Valcarde
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseman923 View Post
Thanks! I guess I'm off to buy Grolsch!
I have a bunch of Grolsch bottles I collected that way that I use exclusively for carb'ed apfelwein. I had a choice between paying 3.95 per bottle, empty, at the local LHBS, ot paying 12.95$ for a pack of 4 beers.

Hmm.

Carboy 3: Choco-Caramel Amber Ale

Quick Reply