Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Question about Boiling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2009, 11:11 PM   #1
boralyl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Question about Boiling

I just got my last bit of equipment to start homebrewing today. So today I decided to test my stove and my brew kettle to see how much water I could boil and in what amount of time. I was able to boil 4 gallons in a 32qt stainless steel pot on an electric stove using 2 burners, however it wasn't a rolling boil, it was pretty soft. What effect will this have on my beer?

My first batch is a kit from midwest that has crushed specialty grains that need to be steeped followed by malt and hops.

I also noticed when I emptied the pot I could see rings from my burners on the bottom of the pot. Will this be harmful to batches? What is the best method to remove these rings? Is keeping heat on high the entire time to keep a boil a bad thing for the pot?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2009, 11:53 PM   #2
Marko73
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A very vigorous boil is really necessary for a lot of reasons, but most of all for hop utilization. You want the boil to break down the hops and extract their bitterness. Although a fuller boil is awesome, I would actually boil less water at a more vigorous level. I think you will get better results this way.

The rings won't do anything to your batch. I am assuming you are using extract so the biggest thing to be careful of is scorching your extract. Make sure to take your pot off the burner when you add the extract and mix it very thouroughly so it is completely dissolved. If you are really worried about the rings, you can place a plain (not painted) metal coat hanger on each burner and that will help that.

Good luck

"It is sheer folly to be taken by the hand and led down the path of better brewing by someone who says that they know it all. No, it is your experience that counts most. It is your experience that will always lead you to more questions."

~Charlie Papazian

Old 12-21-2009, 02:01 AM   #3
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I'll agree that a vigorous boil is ideal but not necessary, you won't "ruin" your beer if you don't have a rolling boil. You're not really going to get over 212 degrees anyway, just boil and don't sweat the small stuff! If you're doing a full boil, you'll just want to account for the lack of boil-off. When I do a 5gal batch, I start with 6.5gallons and end up with 5 all said and done.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 12-21-2009, 04:25 PM   #4
boralyl
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Is there a formula for determining evaporation rates when boiling?

Old 12-21-2009, 04:58 PM   #5
wyzazz
Recipes 

It is really dependent on the equipment you use. Size and shape of your boil kettle, the vigor of your boil. When I do a 5gal batch I start with 6.55gal, but I use a 15.5gal keggle and a turkey fryer. YMMV.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 12-21-2009, 05:57 PM   #6
MilwaukeeBrewGuy
Recipes 

I was led to believe there is a difference between the "rolling" boil and a "vigorous" boil. I was taught that a rolling boil is one to work towards.

I would characterize my last boil as more vigourous, without that nice smooth rolling boil. Where in the point of the boil does the rolling boil come in? Do I need to add less heat or more? Or am I just chasing a ghost?

Old 12-21-2009, 06:02 PM   #7
wyzazz
Recipes 

They are all words for the same thing IMHO. A nice strong boil. Just find a process that works for you, get it dialed in, there is no right or wrong way to do this; only the right way for you.

Quick Reply