Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Question about bitterness

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2011, 09:26 PM   #11
wisbob79
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLinNH View Post
Gotta ask because I know some new brewers that have done it. Are you boiling with your specialty grains still in the boil kettle?
Nope! Good question though. I steeped the grains and removed the bag from the kettle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2011, 09:29 PM   #12
RLinNH
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

That would answer the tanins from the husks then. Hmmmmm. I just don't see water being as issue with the bitterness that you are describing. I'm anxious to see if the bottled water helps. Let us know how your next batch turns out.

On DeckAnother Mild
Primary Camper's Delight 9
Secondary nope
Bottled SSBC Club Brew 2013
Kegged Camper's Delight 8
On Tap MaiBock

Old 12-23-2011, 09:35 PM   #13
wisbob79
Recipes 

Maybe I need to drive a couple of bottles up to Yooper since she isn't terribly far away from me...she could tell me what this is!

Old 12-23-2011, 09:43 PM   #14
wisbob79
Recipes 

OK. As noted in the OP, my Irish Stout had the same bitterness. It's been bottled now for 8 weeks. I just cracked one that I put in the fridge 3 days ago. The bitterness has subsided slightly, but it now has a coppery taste to it. Does that give any clues?

Old 12-23-2011, 09:56 PM   #15
RLinNH

Recipes 

Copper and Band Aid flavors are Characteristics of Bleach residue and also fusel alcohols. So my 2 questions would be 1)- Do you use Bleach as a Sanitizing agent and 2) what are your fermentation temps. Please forgive me if these have already been addressed. I haven't read the whole post as I am currently in the middle of a brew session.

As far as Yopper being someone to mail a couple of bottles to, yup, I agree. From everything I have read and the interactions I have had with her, she would be your huckelberry.

On DeckAnother Mild
Secondary nope
On Tap MaiBock

Old 12-23-2011, 10:01 PM   #16
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisbob79 View Post
Maybe I need to drive a couple of bottles up to Yooper since she isn't terribly far away from me...she could tell me what this is!
Hahaha- you're threatening to bring me bad beer?!?!

Actually, you're probably right. Maybe not me, but sometimes you can get someone with lots of judging experience to be able to nail the flavor for you. If it's phenolic, that points to water chemistry or infection, for example. If it's tannic, that points towards grain issues, but also water chemistry also. Oxidation also can be a weird bitterness, usually on the sides of the tongue. An experienced judge could probably help you.

For now, I'd try one thing at a time different in each batch. For the next batch, use only distilled or reverse osmosis water. Do it the same exact way, and change only that. If that fixes the problem, then you know it's the water.

For the next batch, use only dry yeast (S05). For the next, use DME. And so on, until the flavor goes away.

I really don't think it's technique, as it's much more likely it's water related. But if you go through fixing those first, and it's still an issue we can consider oxidation, yeast underpitching, and so on.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:02 PM   #17
wisbob79
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLinNH View Post
Copper and Band Aid flavors are Characteristics of Bleach residue and also fusel alcohols. So my 2 questions would be 1)- Do you use Bleach as a Sanitizing agent and 2) what are your fermentation temps. Please forgive me if these have already been addressed. I haven't read the whole post as I am currently in the middle of a brew session.

As far as Yopper being someone to mail a couple of bottles to, yup, I agree. From everything I have read and the interactions I have had with her, she would be your huckelberry.
I use PBW to clean and Star-San to sanitize. My Stout did have some issues with fermentation temps, but the strange thing is that my Cream Ale had no issues with ferm temps (66-68 deg) and it has the same bitter issue going on. The Stout has only recently developed the metallic taste. The bottles I refrigerated 4 weeks ago did not have that quality.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:05 PM   #18
wisbob79
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Hahaha- you're threatening to bring me bad beer?!?!

Actually, you're probably right. Maybe not me, but sometimes you can get someone with lots of judging experience to be able to nail the flavor for you. If it's phenolic, that points to water chemistry or infection, for example. If it's tannic, that points towards grain issues, but also water chemistry also. Oxidation also can be a weird bitterness, usually on the sides of the tongue. An experienced judge could probably help you.

For now, I'd try one thing at a time different in each batch. For the next batch, use only distilled or reverse osmosis water. Do it the same exact way, and change only that. If that fixes the problem, then you know it's the water.

For the next batch, use only dry yeast (S05). For the next, use DME. And so on, until the flavor goes away.

I really don't think it's technique, as it's much more likely it's water related. But if you go through fixing those first, and it's still an issue we can consider oxidation, yeast underpitching, and so on.
I really hope it's a water issue Yooper. It'll cost me a little extra, but it'd totally be worth it to have beer that tastes right. I'm seriously considering dumping this Cream Ale and starting over with RO water. Is that too extreme?

Old 12-23-2011, 10:08 PM   #19
RLinNH

Recipes 

Quote:
I really hope it's a water issue Yooper. It'll cost me a little extra, but it'd totally be worth it to have beer that tastes right. I'm seriously considering dumping this Cream Ale and starting over with RO water. Is that too extreme?
WAY TO EXTREME!!! Do not ever dump a beer. It'll get more palatable with age.

On DeckAnother Mild
Secondary nope
On Tap MaiBock

Old 12-23-2011, 10:16 PM   #20
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
don't dump it (yet)! keep it. Make it again with RO or distilled water, and make sure you use dry S05 yeast because you may well have underpitched with only one vial of WLP001. Using dry yeast if you don't want to pitch two vials of liquid yeast will fix that issue as well.

Quick Reply