Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Question about adding orange zest to new brew.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #1
vhanley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 8

Default Question about adding orange zest to new brew.

Good morning! I'm getting ready to start my second brew and since I've never been one to take things slowly I wanted to add some orange zest to it. I'm brewing a pale ale and wanted to know:

A) How much do I add?
B) WHEN do I add it?

Note: I'm really just trying to add a LIGHT citrus/orange hint to it. My first brew was an Irish Stout which came out GREAT but was too dark/strong for SWMBO, so trying to brew something she might enjoy as well.

Note 2: Extract brew.

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 12:40 PM   #2
NewJersey
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 21

i just brewed a beer with orange zest this past weekend. it was 2oz added at the last 10 minutes of the boil. everyone i talked to stressed that i only get the orange part of the rind to zest as the white part is too bitter. (this was about 6 oranges for me)
i plan to add about the same to the dry hop as well

Old 01-15-2013, 12:42 PM   #3
Fennis
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'd think you would want to add it at flameout, or the end of your boil. As for how much, looking on these forums and doing a google search, you may want to use more than you think, maybe 2-3 oranges worth? I'd search the forums and google a little bit to determine just how much orange flavor you are looking for.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #4
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 750 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 241

For more orange flavor you might want to add crushed corriander seeds.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:10 PM   #5
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

I've added as little as 1/3 of an ounce of the dry orange peel to a 5gal wheat beer and it was strongly orange flavor! If you zest a fresh orange I'm sure you would need more. I would put it in right before you turn off the heat from your wort boil.

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 01-16-2013, 01:26 PM   #6
vhanley
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
For more orange flavor you might want to add crushed corriander seeds.
Seriously? Interesting idea! How much? Added at end of boil as well?

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."

Old 01-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #7
vhanley
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJersey View Post
i just brewed a beer with orange zest this past weekend. it was 2oz added at the last 10 minutes of the boil. everyone i talked to stressed that i only get the orange part of the rind to zest as the white part is too bitter. (this was about 6 oranges for me)
i plan to add about the same to the dry hop as well
2oz is what I thought I remembered hearing before as well. Thanks, I'll give that a try!

BTW- Did you just dump it in, or did you "teabag" it into the boil? Curious because zesting a fruit leaves pretty fine remnants and don't want that to transfer in when I rack to my bottling bucket.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:34 PM   #8
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 21

You can go get 1 oz of dried sweet orange peel at your local whole foods store or sometimes even at the grocery store for under $2.00. The stuff from the whole foods store is MUCH higher quality than the stuff they sell as brew supply for pretty much the same price.

Add it at flameout. It gives your beer an orange flavor and nose without the citrusy bite of fresh zest, if that sounds appealing to you. It's much smoother, IMO.

The fresh zest works best when you are complimenting citrusy/fruity hops, the dried peels work better when the orange flavor has to stand on it's own, in my experience, if that makes any sense.

Primary #1 - Oktoberfest
Primary #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Coffee Vanilla Stout
Keg #2 - Fall of the Ukraine Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - EMPTY!
Bottled - NONE!

LilRoundHouse Likes This 
Old 01-16-2013, 05:11 PM   #9
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 750 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 241

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhanley View Post
Seriously? Interesting idea! How much? Added at end of boil as well?
My notes say I used 1/2 ounce in a 2 1/2 gallon batch and yes I would add it at flameout so the seeds will be pasteurized but not boiled.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:37 AM   #10
vhanley
Recipes 

Outstanding! Thank you guys for the advice, I'll let you know how it turns out! Much appreciated!

Quick Reply