Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > question about adding coffee

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
LopeJuice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 12

Default question about adding coffee

I transferred my 5gal oatmeal chocolate stout to secondary yesterday and I was all set to put about 2.5oz ground coffee from a local source into a dry hop bag and let do it's thing but now I am wondering how do I make sure it is sanitized? I know this is not the method some people use, but even with cold steeped coffee how do you make sure it is sanitized without ever boiling it? any insight is greatly appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
nsrooen
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

As long as it is going into the secondary you should not have a problem. There is enough alcohol present to keep the nasties away. I routinely put spices, fruit etc. in my secondary with no treatment and have never had a problem.

If you are concerned you could always soak it in a little vodka before hand, but I honestly do not think you will have a problem.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:57 AM   #3
masskrug
Shooting for 80%
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 69

The coffee was fresh from an unopened bag. I sanitized the bottle and the muslin bag with Starsan. I used bottled water for the cold steeping.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #4
LopeJuice
Recipes 

Likes Given: 12

thanks for the help! is there any benefit to cold steeping and then adding to the brew? Seems like an extra step when I can just soak the coffee directly into the beer in a hop bag like I would to dry hop. I'm thinking probably 1 week in the bucket should extract enough of the coffee flavor i'm looking for without it tasting too stale.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:22 PM   #5
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 87 Posts

My general rule of thumb is if I would put it in my mouth i will put it in my beer. If I would cook it first I would boil/sanitize.

Quick Reply