Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Pure Faucet filter for Homebrew?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #11
TyTanium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 545 Times on 383 Posts
Likes Given: 417

Great information, solbes. Thanks.

flanneltrees804 - there's an entire thread (in the IL section I think) solely for Chicago water. We have good brewing water. Most do small additions (1-3g CaCl2, CaSO4, or acid depending on style). I've never had to dilute.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 04:35 PM   #12
Justintoxicated
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

ok then I'll go ahead and give it a shot. Hopefully the plastic fittings hold up for a while since I would need to add and remove the filter often. I guess if I get $30 gallons it just saved me $30

I hear stories about those water fill stations, such as homeless putting in coins then drinking out of them when thirsty. Who knows what kinda crap is in those. Of course your going to boil the water anyways!

I'd love to get an under sink filter, either a fancy regular filter that leaves minerals, or RO filter. My problem is that my sink is cast iron...so Drilling is an issue. Not that I care a ton about our sink, our kitchen is in dire need of a remodel anyway. I guess I could hook one up to the garage laundry sink easy enough, but that seems rather silly, although thats where I plan to snap the pur filter on and off. We have the large gravity fed pure filter, the one with the huge filter canisters and that makes our water taste pretty good, but I have read they work better than the faucet attached ones.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:56 PM   #13
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I'm pretty sure the fittings are metal, not plastic. But its been 8-9 years since I worked there.

If you are going to disconnect your PUR filter for more than a week at a time, you might want to put it in the fridge to keep it from growing something inside. Or take out the filter so it can dry out (this will reset your flow monitor). They are really meant to be used fairly regularly on a kitchen faucet.

Our local grocery stores have RO water refills for $.39/gallon. They change filter elements monthly and have UV sterilization, so I know its good to use.

Primary #1: Cascadian Dark Ale #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty #3: Empty #4: Empty
Kegged
: Irish Red
Bottles
: Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, Peach Rhubarb Wne
On Deck: Spruced Winter Warmer

Old 07-25-2012, 07:49 AM   #14
Justintoxicated
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by solbes View Post
I'm pretty sure the fittings are metal, not plastic. But its been 8-9 years since I worked there.

If you are going to disconnect your PUR filter for more than a week at a time, you might want to put it in the fridge to keep it from growing something inside. Or take out the filter so it can dry out (this will reset your flow monitor). They are really meant to be used fairly regularly on a kitchen faucet.

Our local grocery stores have RO water refills for $.39/gallon. They change filter elements monthly and have UV sterilization, so I know its good to use.
Yea I would have to disconnect it as it can't attach to my kitchen faucet and I certainly need to laundry sink for other tasks. Would you suggest I return it then and stick to the pitcher? The gravity fed pitcher will take a very long time to produce 4 or 5 gallons though.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:51 AM   #15
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Nah I would just take out the filter element and store dry or put the whole thing in the fridge in between uses. Either would be fine. And quite a bit faster than the pitcher.

Primary #1: Cascadian Dark Ale #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty #3: Empty #4: Empty
Kegged
: Irish Red
Bottles
: Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, Peach Rhubarb Wne
On Deck: Spruced Winter Warmer

Old 08-05-2012, 01:06 AM   #16
Justintoxicated
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by solbes View Post

There's a Water Store down the street that dispenses inside for $1.75 for 5 gallons. It's RO water and they have a huge bunch of equipment behind some glass in the building. They also have a 24 hour fill outside but I'm not sure my carboy would fit in that unit. I noticed a lot of people stopping there as I was returning my unused parts for a stir-plate at radio shack next door.

Would I be better off just using that place?

Also could I consider water from that place sanitized or would I need to boil it if I wanted to use it to top off my brew after cooling.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:31 PM   #17
NailGunGuy
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I sanitize my water bottles before I go. The water machine has a UV light before it goes into the bottle. Ive always thought this was good enough. I've never boiled the top off water and I haven't had a problem yet. ( knock on wood ).

Old 08-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #18
Justintoxicated
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

So maybe I would be better off buying some 1 gallon carboys or something to help me measure the amount of water.

Only made one beer so far,and I used bottled water so it was easy to measure out but now I'm not so sure what will be the best practice.

Quick Reply