New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Pure Faucet filter for Homebrew?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 08:49 AM   #1
Justintoxicated
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Pure Faucet filter for Homebrew?

Just picked up one of these clip in faucet adapters from Costco. It was $30.

I used bottled water on my first batch, but I can see that getting expensive quick. I hate drinking water from the tap as it tastes terrible to me, so I figure I would not want it in my beer either. For drinking water I generally use a Pure pitcher in the refrigerator and it cleans it up ok.

I really want to go R/O eventually for drinking water, but I read that our hard water can really be great for brewing, so perhaps the Pure is better?

I'm hoping to just pop it on and off the garage sink when making brews. Anyone else doing this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 12:33 PM   #2
Newmanwell
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I use a pure water filter for all my brews and I'm happy with it. You can probably get 200 or so gallons out of the filter before you need to replace. I think the refills are $15-20.

Kegged: German Pilsner, California Common, Oatmeal Stout
Bottled: American Barleywinne
Lagering: Sam Adams Light clone
Primary: Rye IPA, Simcoe SMaSH, APA

Old 07-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #3
billf2112
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I just moved to a house with a well, before I used the tap water without issue. The well water scares me. I am thinking of doing the pure filter myself.

Bill from Pa

On Deck: Irish Stout,
Primary: Pumpkin Ale
Secondary: Empty
Completed: Red, Wit and Blue, Irish Stout, Red Ale, German Style Amber Lager, All Grain Brews: Irish Red Ale, American Stout, Honey Weizen

Old 07-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 489 Times on 413 Posts
Likes Given: 130

I do the same, only I use the other brand! The only problem I have is that after 3 batches it seems to clog up and now takes an hour to filter 10 gallons of strike and sparge water.

I'm cheap and will be using it at least once more before buying another cartridge.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:20 AM   #5
BrewerBear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by billf2112 View Post
I just moved to a house with a well, before I used the tap water without issue. The well water scares me. I am thinking of doing the pure filter myself.
No need to be scared, just have a water sample tested. It will probably have less chemicals in it than tap water.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:45 PM   #6
ludomonster
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 33

If the filter has plastic fittings, it could eventually start popping off the faucet. You could also consider getting an in-line filter.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #7
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I used to be the process engineer for the inline PUR filters. Fun job, although I could never quite come home with clean clothes

The inline filter will work great for extract brewing. It will not reduce hardness, but will remove/reduce chlorine, lead, mercury, and many volatile organics. The monitor will shut off flow between 100-120 gallons, but you may see chlorine reduction up to 200 or so. The gravity pitchers do soften the water some as it has ion exchange resin.

Neither style will alter your alkalinity, so if you are using them for all grain brewing it might not give you what you need. I typically use a combination of store bought RO water, hard tap water (for Ca and Mg), and PUR filtered soft tap water to get my mash conditions right.

Primary #1:Dunkel #2:Empty
Secondary #1
: Peach Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty #3: Empty #4: Sparkling Elderflower Wine
Kegged: Umlaut my Kölsch V
Bottles
: Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Belgian Golden Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Apfelwein, Russian Imperial Stout, Barolo Wine
On Deck: Irish Red, Surly Bender clone, Spruced Warmer, CDA

Old 07-24-2012, 02:13 PM   #8
flanneltrees804
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am currently doing research to figure out whats best for Chicago water but I have been using a Watts countertop filter for over two years now and it works great! Filters more than the other, more common brands and the filters are only $10-$15 and last much longer, up to 2,000 gallon is what I read somewhere. We change ours twice a year. I will never go back to pur or brita.

littlesagebrewing.wordpress.com

Old 07-24-2012, 02:19 PM   #9
NailGunGuy
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

i have 2 5 gallon plastic water jugs with lids. i just clean them then run down to the local walmarts and fill them up at the culligan water filler. it costs about about $2.60 for 10 gallons. the water tastes much better than what comes out of my tap at home.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:36 PM   #10
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 191 Posts

I use a PUR filter as well. Never had any chlorine/chloramine flavor problems from it. The only time I use RO water is for very light beers and even then I cut it with a portion of PUR filtered water to put some minerals back in.

Quick Reply