New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Pumpkin Seeds.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2011, 11:28 PM   #1
BenVanned
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Pumpkin Seeds.

Well gents, its October which means pumpkins are in abundance. Im looking to do my first brew soon. Im looking to possibly do something with pumpkin seeds maybe on my second brew. Could you guys give me some ideas or pointers on this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2011, 11:35 PM   #2
brewguy82
Recipes 

Just use pumpkin. Cut it up into cubes roast it for about an hour @ 375. Toss it in the mash if you are doing AG or put it in a muslin bag for partial mash.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:38 PM   #3
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 108

I have a couple recipes that I brew that have toasted hulled pumpkin seeds, I have never tried making a beer with them still in the shells.

I assume that instead of scooping them out of the jack'o lantern andtoasting them with some salt you want to make beer out of them?

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Old 10-03-2011, 01:30 AM   #4
BenVanned
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yea I assumed they would need to be hulled. Ide imagine that brewing with the hulls would render a lot of off flavors. I would be toasting them and adding them with my extracts. I suppose the question lies with should I boil them when I boil my wort or should I add them afterward? And yes. I will be keeping the seeds out of my jack-o-lantern. I have the standard aladdin pumpkin, fairytale, and a wee-be-little. Im sure I will be obtaining more varieties of pumpkin before the season is over.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:09 AM   #5
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 108

I would hull them and toast the seed meats, crush them and add to your steeping grains.

I brew All-Grain so I mill them and mash the seeds with the grain for an hour, then drain and brew as usual. I find it gives a nice subtle nutty flavor to the beer.

I have heard you can also rack your beer onto the toasted seeds in a secondary as well, another option for you to try.

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Quick Reply