Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Pumpkin Puree = serious trub?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2013, 06:18 AM   #1
corpsman619
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Pumpkin Puree = serious trub?

I am planning on brewing a pumpkin ale here pretty soon and I have been reading some pretty horrible stories about pumpkin leading to stuck sparges and a crazy amount of pumpkin in the fermenter. I was planning on adding 16 oz. of the puree during the boil at 15 min. I was not planning on using a bag of any kind but now I am am thinking that maybe if I put all the puree in my big strainer and put the strainer at water level and let all the pumpkin boil while staying in the strainer that would give the flavor and keep the pumpkin out!

What do you guys think?

P.s. I have also noticed that people use alooooot more than 1 16oz can. More like 5-6 lbs

“Thirstily he set it to his lips, and as its cool refreshment began to soothe his throat, he thanked Heaven that in a world of much evil there was still so good a thing as ale.”
― Rafael Sabatini, Fortune's Fool

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2013, 06:19 AM   #2
atoughram
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 187

In the boil????? Mash it! I dont think adding starches in your boil is a good idea.

On tap
Ichter Hill IPA OG 1.058
Carbon River Hefe OG 1.046, Sekiu Soda OG 1.049

Old 10-17-2013, 06:26 AM   #3
corpsman619
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would need to buy some rice hulls for the mash huh

“Thirstily he set it to his lips, and as its cool refreshment began to soothe his throat, he thanked Heaven that in a world of much evil there was still so good a thing as ale.”

Old 10-17-2013, 06:35 AM   #4
corpsman619
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah just reading all the bad stuff people are saying online about stuck sparges I really don't want to deal with that. My last brew day was a real pain and I want this brew day to actually be somewhat enjoyable. From what it sounds like I will not get as much pumpkin flavor as if I would in the mash. I think that either way most of the flavor you get in a pumpkin ale is going to be from the spices and vanilla.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #5
Gitmoe
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I used 5lbs of Libbeys puree in my mash a few weeks ago. Just mash thin and use 2lbs of hulls instead of the normal 1lb. (I actually only used 1# but better safe than sorry. I have supreme confidence in my false bottom) Not even a hint of a stuck sparge. Don't fear the puree.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #6
eric19312
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I mashed 8 lbs of pumpkin this weekend in 13lbs grain, 1/2 lb oats, 1/2 lb flaked wheat, 1/2 lb rice hulls. Thick mash batch sparge. Was slow but steady and did not stick. 90 min mash to give enzymes best shot at the pumpkin.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
corpsman619
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

But why put it in the mash vs the boil?

Old 10-17-2013, 02:16 PM   #8
twistr25
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I used 60oz of Libby's pumpkin, baked for an hour at 350, in my boil last week. It certainly adds some to the trub, but I think it adds some good mouthfeel and flavor that way. My batch last year was enjoyed by those who don't really like pumpkin beers.

Future: Black IPA Redux, possibly others
2013 Previous: Sunrise Honey Rye Pale Ale, Dark Skies Black IPA, Sunset Orange Kolsch, All Hallow's Eve Pumpkin Ale, Maple Vanilla Brown Ale, Raining Hops and Dogs IPA, Starry Night Vanilla Bourbon Porter

Awards/Recognition
Dark Skies Black IPA - 2nd Place at a local comp. Score of 39 from a BJCP judge

Twistr25 Recipes

GT Keezer Build

Mandlbrot Likes This 
Old 10-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #9
Mandlbrot
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I did a pumpkin 5 weeks ago. 45 OZ (3 cans) of pure pumpkin in boil. Before hand I spread the pumpkin on a cookie sheet, sprinkled some brown sugar and baked at 450 for roughly an hour to caramelize and bring out the sweetness. There are many recipes online suggesting this method as an option to mashing, etc.

Basically, the pumpkin liquefies So it will all end up in your fermenter. No worries. After 3 week in primary I checked and it was still largely suspended. I cold crashed it at 40 degrees for 48 hours. It all fell out and was clear at bottling.

The amount of trub? Lets say "significant". I've boiled 5 gallons batches so far (three under my belt) the first two ended with 46 - 48 bottles. The pumpkin was around 39-41.

All said...it tasted great and still improving. Pumpkin can cause challenges whether mashed or boiled from what everything I've read. Either way its worth it and go for it.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:31 PM   #10
corpsman619
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistr25 View Post
I used 60oz of Libby's pumpkin, baked for an hour at 350, in my boil last week. It certainly adds some to the trub, but I think it adds some good mouthfeel and flavor that way. My batch last year was enjoyed by those who don't really like pumpkin beers.
Yeah I was thinking about dumping it all into my giant beer strainer and then setting the strainer water level. I'm not sure of it will lessen the flavor extracted, I just had a bad time with my last batch (mostly because of the Hassle of racking with tons of trub and leaf hops) and want to try to keep things simple. I was thinking of doing a whirlpool and racking from pot to primary this time, last time I just poured everything into my primary and had tons of trub. I came up about 10 bombers shorter than expected sure to trub and Damn hops clogging my bottling wand

Quick Reply