Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Pumpkin Beer Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2010, 03:21 AM   #1
Armen_Tamzarian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Pumpkin Beer Question

So I'm brewing my first pumpkin beer and the recipe calls for 5-7 lbs of cooked pumpkin. Right now I have 10 lbs of uncooked pumpkin and I'm wondering how much this weight will go down roughly. Or if I should just cook 5-7 lbs and throw in what comes out. Thanks for all of your help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2010, 03:22 AM   #2
Armen_Tamzarian
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Forgot to mention, it says to bake it at 300 for about an hour, or until the meat is mushy. Thanks

Old 10-20-2010, 11:17 AM   #3
KAMMEE
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If its fresh, just go ahead and use all 10 lb, you can't go wrong. I would cube it, then roast it and check it at about 45 minutes, mash it with a potato masher and spread it evenly on the baking sheet, and stick it back into the oven to caramelize some more.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:29 PM   #4
UnderPressure
Recipes 

Here's what I did with my pumpkin ale: I used 2 small pumpkins cut in half, seeds scooped out. Roast in oven at 350 for 30 mins. Then peel, and cut into chunks. I put the pumpkin chunks in a grain bag and put it in the mash.
But honestly I don't think it matters what you do, the pumpkin does not impact the flavor very much anyway.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:04 PM   #5
jgln
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think the amount of time varies on size and type in which some have more water content. That is why some are pie varieties, less water and sweeter especially when baked. When fully baked it should be very soft, darker in color maybe even browned and you should be able to scoop it out of the halved shell like ice cream. The skin will be leathery. I always do at least an hour to get good caramelization, that is what you want IMO.

Quick Reply