The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > pumpkin beer has a sour taste ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2013, 11:36 PM   #11
Cyclman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 334 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Have you had past experience that would support this line of thinking? I sure haven't. If it tastes horrible at a month, it continues to taste horrible.
I have brewed a couple of "big" beers that required longer ageing to balance out- a Dubbel and a Quad.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing, visiting the great breweries / brewpubs in CO!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #12
TyTanium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 542 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclman View Post
I have brewed a couple of "big" beers that required longer ageing to balance out- a Dubbel and a Quad.
Well sure, balance out is one thing. But harsh & horrible to best beer ever? Seems like a stretch. Or hyperbole.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:47 PM   #13
jshake
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

well still has a sour smell to it. the one thing I can say is it doesn't taste as bad as it smells. I think this will be my first and last pumpkin beer I make.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:52 PM   #14
Hello
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1189 Times on 809 Posts
Likes Given: 1819

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshake View Post
well still has a sour smell to it. the one thing I can say is it doesn't taste as bad as it smells. I think this will be my first and last pumpkin beer I make.
If the sour is due to infection then you will eventually run out of beers to brew if you opt not to brew one type because of said infection. Find out the source of the infection, if possible, and brew again. I will put good money on the fact that you brewing a pumpkin beer is not the reason you got the infection. It could have happened to any beer, in other words.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:06 PM   #15
jshake
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

took some to a meeting of a brew club i'm in they didn't think it was an infection but maybe something with the pumpkin pie spice in it. all in all just not a beer style i really like it sounded good but you just don't know until you try.

Quick Reply