Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Pumpkin Ale sludge

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2011, 06:36 PM   #1
smittygouv30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Pumpkin Ale sludge

Hello All-

I'm a newbie to the forum but have been a reader and fan for a while. I figured now is the time for me to start getting some help.

This morning I brewed a pumpkin ale and am not confident in it, as there was a significant amount sludge put into the primary. I am aware that hop sludge will settle out but will canned pumpkin sludge? I decided to use canned pumpkin and added it directly to the boil with five minutes left. In reading other pumpkin recipes other most people are baking it and adding it to the mash. Has anyone added canned pumpkin directly to the boil? If so did you have a sludge problem that didn't settle out in the primary/secondary? I used 2 can's of Libby's canned pumpkin pie mix, 60 oz total.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2011, 07:00 PM   #2
Unibrow
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Did the pumpkin sink or float to the surface of the bucket when you tossed it?

I'm trying to catalog every brew online so I don't have to keep notes all over the house. Check it out on my blog site below:

http://brewzak.wordpress.com/

Old 09-25-2011, 07:03 PM   #3
moorerm04
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

That's why it's always a good idea to either siphon you cooled wort into you fermenter, or pour it in through a strainer.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:17 PM   #4
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2005 Times on 1756 Posts
Likes Given: 1484

Your problem is that you used the pumpkin pie mix. This has the evaporated milk,seasonings,etc already in it. You're supposed to use canned pumpkin. Just plain pumpkin puree,in other words.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:34 PM   #5
cincybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittygouv30 View Post
Hello All-

I'm a newbie to the forum but have been a reader and fan for a while. I figured now is the time for me to start getting some help.

This morning I brewed a pumpkin ale and am not confident in it, as there was a significant amount sludge put into the primary. I am aware that hop sludge will settle out but will canned pumpkin sludge? I decided to use canned pumpkin and added it directly to the boil with five minutes left. In reading other pumpkin recipes other most people are baking it and adding it to the mash. Has anyone added canned pumpkin directly to the boil? If so did you have a sludge problem that didn't settle out in the primary/secondary? I used 2 can's of Libby's canned pumpkin pie mix, 60 oz total.
I added my canned pumpkin to the boil at 60 minutes and I didn't have too much of a problem. I siphoned out the wort and tried to leave the sludge behind and I also siphoned it to the keg to age. My fermenter had a good amount of sludge at the bottom. I would guess that the pumpkin settles to the bottom eventually.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:35 PM   #6
smittygouv30
Recipes 

1.The sludge definitely didn't sink but didn't completely float to the top either. It was kind of mixed with in the wort. That's what had me nervous.

2. I don't usually use a strainer, but I was concerned with prior so I did use a strainer. It caught a good bit of sludge but not enough to make me feel confident.

3. I was afraid the pumpkin pie mix was the problem. The recipe kit I bought had several reviewers complain about the lack of pumpkin flavor that came through in the final product, and recommended a switch to the pumpkin pie mix. The mix I bought doesn't include the evaporated milk but does have spices and syrups.

Is it normal to add canned pumpkin directly to the boil or is it usually baked and steeped?

Old 09-25-2011, 07:36 PM   #7
smittygouv30
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincybrewer View Post
I added my canned pumpkin to the boil at 60 minutes and I didn't have too much of a problem. I siphoned out the wort and tried to leave the sludge behind and I also siphoned it to the keg to age. My fermenter had a good amount of sludge at the bottom. I would guess that the pumpkin settles to the bottom eventually.
Awesome, that's good news. Maybe there is hope then. Did you use 100% canned pumpkin rather than a pumpkin pie mix?

Old 09-26-2011, 03:53 AM   #8
bphelan
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

You'll be fine, I just kegged the pumpkin ale I brewed a month ago. Just be prepared to lose more volume then you would normally expect to because you'll have to leave a decent amount of beer in the bottom of the fermenter because of the amount of pumpkin/trub sitting at the bottom of the bucket. I also used pumpkin pie mix.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:59 AM   #9
DoubleAught
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I think you'll be fine as well. Just FYI, I made a Pumpkin Ale with just pumpkin pie spices at 5 min. Added 2 tbs at bottling as well. Drinking the first one now, and although green it's a very nice pumpkin smell and taste.

In their efforts to regulate beer quality, the ancient Babylonians, who were among history's earliest brewers, decreed that any commercial beermaker who sold unfit beer would be drowned in their own libation.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:26 AM   #10
aceinthehole
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphelan View Post
You'll be fine, I just kegged the pumpkin ale I brewed a month ago. Just be prepared to lose more volume then you would normally expect to because you'll have to leave a decent amount of beer in the bottom of the fermenter because of the amount of pumpkin/trub sitting at the bottom of the bucket. I also used pumpkin pie mix.
This. I bottled my pumpkin ale a week ago, and had a ton of pumpkin/trub. I probably lost about a gallon of volume. I used the pumpkin pie mix also. Net total of bottles was only 41.

Up next:
Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Amber Ale (Debut Brew), Pumpkin Ale, Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen

Quick Reply