Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > pumpkin ale procedure

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #11
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by billf2112 View Post
I went back and forth on this and most everyone in my brew club said even with rice hulls it was a pita and went to adding to the boil. I will see the final product and if I am not happy will change next year.
After mashing the pumpkin in last year's pumpkin ale, and getting a super sticky mess of a sparge, I decided to only boil pumpkin this year. I used 3 lbs of baked, canned pumpkin in the full boil, spices added over the last ten mins. The whole boil smelled of wonderful pumpkin and once the spices went in, the aromas were delicious pumpkin pie. The wort sample tasted like a very very sweet pumpkin pie. Plenty of pumpkin and pie spice flavor and aroma.
From what I gathered by boiling a pound of canned pumpkin in a gallon of water was that the pumpkin contributed ~4-6 gravity points. I also took readings on brew day, one from the runnings before the pumpkin went in, one right after adding and stirring in the pumpkin. 3 lbs added ~4 points to ~6.5 gal of wort. YMMV
I'll be taking the first final gravity reading this weekend, I'll try to post my results back here, but you can follow this thread to see how it comes out.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 05:34 PM   #12
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1079 Times on 678 Posts
Likes Given: 1189

I used about 6lbs fresh pumpkin that I roasted in the oven until it was soft and started to carmelize, then mashed well. I added the pumpkin and rice hulls directly to the mash and had no stuck sparge. I got a decent amount of pumpkin flavor but not overwhelming. I added 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/8 tsp allspice, 1/4 tsp ginger, and 1/8 tsp nutmeg to the boil with 1 minute remaining and so far so good. Still have a week or more till this goes in bottles.

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
- Winston Churchill

Old 09-28-2012, 07:42 PM   #13
tre9er
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I used 7-15oz. cans in a 9g. batch, roasted at 350 about 1" thick on two cookie sheets for 45 minutes. I added it to the mash with three or so handfuls of rice-hulls and had no slower runoff than usual. The spent grain looked pretty normal afterwards, actually. I added pumpkin pie spice (2 TBSP) with 10m left in boil.

Basically used Reno_eNVy's recipe as a base and just modified grain bill/hops to what I had on hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Quick Reply