Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Pumpkin Ale Dry Hop an general questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 02:41 AM   #1
itsernst
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Pumpkin Ale Dry Hop an general questions

So my NB pumpkin ale partial kit has been in primary for about 4 weeks with pumpkin meat and the trub is quite orange however the beer itself has taken on a darker color. The other thing is I don't get the a seriously pumpkin aroma. I added another half a tea spoon of cinnamon and ginger to help the aromas come along. Is it wrong to want to add some hops? I have some in the freezer including fuggles, holdings, magnum, cascade, and willamette.

Or should I give it a good shake to wake it up a little as it was dormant for the entire time up until about 10 mins ago. Gravity is around 1.016 so it is as done as it is going to be.

Thanks!

Pumpkin Ale

Kegged
Nada!
Secondary
Nada!

Primary
Brassberry Lambic

Up Next

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 02:50 AM   #2
RacingRam
Not left handed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I brewed Yuri's Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale in September and finished the last of it this week...couldn't wait long enough to let it age properly.

The beer in my carboy looked exactly like you are describing, here's a picture:

2012-09-15-17.49.56.jpg

Pretty dark in the carboy, but a beautiful orange color in the glass. The same went for aroma...not much pumpkin/spice aroma in the carboy or while bottling, but once it finished it had a perfect pumpkin pie smell.

As for hops, I would go minimal...a hoppy pumpkin beer is confusing IMO. Dry hopping with just about anything would detract from the pumpkin - and pumpkin is what you're going for, right?

Old 11-14-2012, 02:56 AM   #3
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

"Most" pumpkin ales refrain from many flavor/aroma hop additions to allow the other spices to stand on there own. That being said, it's your beer. That's the beauty of brewing it yourself, you don't have to rely on others to tell you what YOU like. If you want hops, then hops it shall be!
Keep in mind that just because a certain trait isn't showing itself right now, doesn't mean that it wont later. This is especially true with spiced beers. Once carbonated and aged a little, a lot of the spices like cinnamon and nutmeg etc will start shining through.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:58 AM   #4
itsernst
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

That's awesome to hear thank you very much. Pumpkin was definitely the holiday flavor I was aiming for so I agree light on other flavors that would take away from it. I was going in the direction that if it isn't pumpkinininy (stay with me) that at least it held some other flavors.

Pumpkin Ale

Kegged
Nada!
Secondary
Nada!

Primary
Brassberry Lambic

Up Next

Quick Reply