Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Prospects of my first batch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2009, 11:11 PM   #1
ExCathedra
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Prospects of my first batch

So I brewed up my first batch last night and a small amount of sanitizer from the airlock found its way into the fermenter with the wort. The sanitizer was a solution of chlorine and water (1 tbsp. chlorine per gal. water). I figure a half tbsp. or less of solution ended up in the fermenter with the wort. From all that I've heard chlorine contamination should be seriously avoided. Should I expect some funky tastes when it's all said and done?

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2009, 11:15 PM   #2
Palefire
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hard to tell ... chlorine's something you don't really want to get into your beer (!), but it also seems like a really tiny amount here. I say let it ride and see what you end up with. But my guess is that it'll be fine - great, even.

Also, for the future I'd highly recommend switching to Star san for sanitizing - if that gets into your beer, then no problems. Some people here also put vodka in their airlocks, since it'll basically keep forever, and if it gets into your beer then it's still all good.

Welcome and best of luck.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:40 PM   #3
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

possibly a slight chlorine taste, but that diluted I would doubt it would be noticeable.

Old 11-25-2009, 03:12 PM   #4
ExCathedra
Recipes 

Would sampling and tasting the brew before racking or bottling give an indication if any off-flavors will be present in the final beer? I assume this is OK -- just beer without any carbonation, right?

I appreciate the replies.

Old 11-25-2009, 03:59 PM   #5
Palefire
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCathedra View Post
Would sampling and tasting the brew before racking or bottling give an indication if any off-flavors will be present in the final beer? I assume this is OK -- just beer without any carbonation, right.
Maybe, but also maybe not ... beer often tastes dramatically different at these different stages. Sometimes it tastes nasty when bottling but delicious after 3-4 (or 6-7) weeks in the bottle. Honestly, think you just gotta be patient and wait and see what you have at the end.

Best advice I can give is brew another batch soon, so that if the first batch doesn't come out the way you want it, you'll have another one ready in a few weeks!

Quick Reply