Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Pros/Cons of a full boil?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2007, 10:03 AM   #1
jelsas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pros/Cons of a full boil?

Hi -- I've recently started doing a full boil, but I'm not convinced of its merits.

(1) my stove can't bring 5 gal. to a boil, so I've got to brew outside & its COLD
(2) a full boil depletes the dissolved O2 in the water, and I don't have an oxygenation setup. I don't know if shaking the carboy is enough to oxygenate the wort
(3) My 6+ gal brewpot is so cheap that you can dent it with your thumb

So, what the real benefit of doing a full boil? Is it just to sterilize all the water?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2007, 10:14 AM   #2
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

www.howtobrew.com

Are you AG or extract brewing.
All of the basic brewing literature explains the merits and reasons for a full boil.
If you want fuller answers that are relevant to you then you need to explain your methods of brewing.

Old 02-04-2007, 10:31 AM   #3
jelsas
Recipes 

extract brewing.

5-gal batches, mostly store-bought kids (Brewer's Best, etc.), with an initial grain steep, pelleted hops.

I have a decent filter for my tap water, so the chlorine & other nasties should be minimized.

Last edited by jelsas; 02-04-2007 at 10:44 AM.

Old 02-04-2007, 12:53 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 905 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I like to summarize full boils with extracts it like this:

Pros:
-More IBUs for a given amount of hops (marginally cheaper). (even though you can acheive the same thing in a partial boil by doing a late extract addition instead of boiling it from the beginning)
-One step closer to the all grain process.

Cons:
-Need a 7.5gallon pot or larger
-Need a chiller

With that said, I've been full boiling extracts for the last 5 batches just so that my transition to all grain does not feel like a clusterf$#@. As far as I'm concerned, my boil process is exactly the same as an AG batch.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 02-05-2007, 01:41 AM   #5
jelsas
Recipes 

Thanks for the response.

Old 02-05-2007, 02:58 AM   #6
dannypo
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

In my opinion onw of the biggest problems with a concentrated boil is that boiling concentrated wort will increase kettle cramelization. And with the exception of scottish ales this is a definate flaw.

Add that to the IBU issue and getting one step closer to all-grain and full wort boils are the first upgrade I would recommend to anybody.

Old 02-05-2007, 03:10 AM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 125 Posts

With AG, you have to do full boils. Under your conditions, I would not bother. I've done a number of mini-mash 2.5 gallon boils with good results. For extract with specialty grains, boil with half of the extract and do a late addition of the rest.

2) Shaking will do a fairly good job. Search for the definitive aeration experiment.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-05-2007, 03:11 AM   #8
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannypo
In my opinion onw of the biggest problems with a concentrated boil is that boiling concentrated wort will increase kettle cramelization. And with the exception of scottish ales this is a definate flaw.

Add that to the IBU issue and getting one step closer to all-grain and full wort boils are the first upgrade I would recommend to anybody.
This is only true if you boil all the malt in a low amount of water. I did this for years, but not any more.

As a person who is a real experimenter (of sorts) I have come to boil only 1.5 gals and 1 lb of malt and bittering hops for 45 mins then adding the remaining malts and continue the boil another 15 mins.

I've even taken this further in my last experiment and doubled my bittering hops and reduced my boil to 1/2 hour then adding the remaining malts BUT not boiling another 15 mins, just steeping to pasteurize.

I sampled that weizen today. Although it is a tad bitter I am pleased with it. It is still gurgling so I'll leave it in the primary a couple more days.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:27 AM   #9
treehouse
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
I have come to boil only 1.5 gals and 1 lb of malt and bittering hops for 45 mins then adding the remaining malts and continue the boil another 15 mins.
Just goes to show ya, there is more than one way to brew beer...

Quick Reply