proper siphoning technique?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd_k

Reaction score
Can someone tell me if this is an OK siphoning technique, I know it works, I just don't know of anything else to do.

Since I don't want to suck on the hose, I plan to make a fist (with a clean hand), put the discharge end of the siphoning tube halfway into the bottom of the fist and suck on the other end of the fist to start the flow (stop laughing). This way the only thing the hose is touching is my clean hand.
Does this create a sanitation problem? I don't have an auto-siphon and since I will be siphoning from a plastic bucket to a glass carboy, I can't use the racking cane, right?

I dont sue a auto siphon so the way I do it is to fill my tubeing with water. Then keep my thumb over the end going into the recieving vessle while I put the other end into the vessel I will be siphoning from. Once the "giving" end is in place I put the end with my thumb on it into my recieving vessel and take my thumb off. PRESTO I gots me a siphon:eek:

I did use water at first, but on my last brew I used beer from the primary to start the siphon. I put the racking cane in the primary, washed my hands, and then submerged the entire tube in the primary to fill it with beer, then attached it to the racking cane and dropped the other end in the secondary. this worked out well for me.

Just suckkon the hose, man! Wait...that came out all wrong. I had a couple too many homebrews with the bro... I've done 4 batches now and I haven't had a prob. just starting the siphon with my mouth. Wish me luck and if you do the same I hope the best for you 2!

I wouldn't touch the beer anymore than absolutely needed, ie never. You're opening yourself up to infection. It's best to use the water method. If you have to suck on it, gargle with brandy or something first...

HurricaneFloyd said:
Can someone tell me if this is an OK siphoning technique, I know it works, I just don't know of anything else to do.

Since I don't want to suck on the hose, I plan to make a fist (with a clean hand), put the discharge end of the siphoning tube halfway into the bottom of the fist and suck on the other end of the fist to start the flow (stop laughing). This way the only thing the hose is touching is my clean hand.
Does this create a sanitation problem?

Sanitation-wise you should be fine. I tried this and found it to be a bit of a pain, but it worked.
This is better:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=2910&highlight=walker+carboy+siphon

HurricaneFloyd said:
I don't have an auto-siphon and since I will be siphoning from a plastic bucket to a glass carboy, I can't use the racking cane, right?

You should still use a racking cane when going from a bucket. Your cane goes into the bucket there should be a little cap-thing for the tip of your cane. This will help keep you from picking up trub.

I'm a fairly new brewer, too. On top of the start-up assortment of gear, the first extra that I bought was an auto-siphon. I consider it ten bucks very well spent.

It's a two-piece thing, but it replaces your current racking cane, so it's really only one extra piece to sanitize. It makes siphoning a snap: even drawing a tiny little amount for a hydrometer test.

I set up the racking cane in the bucket. Then I take the syphon tube and, after cleaning thoroughly, submerged it in boiled water to fill it up, plug it onto the racking cane, and start the syphon. Even though there is a spot of air in the line, there is enough water to get the beer past equilibrium in the syphon and keep itself going.

WHen I go from carboys, I use a "Walker Cap", and just put some pressure into the carboy to start the syphon. It's too easy :D

For your method, you could just go to the HW store and get some slightly larger tube (couple inches) slip that over the end to suck and start the syphon, then pull it off when you put the hose in the bucket. Not sure how good of a vacuum chamber you are gonna get with your hands.

HurricaneFloyd,

I use the tip of the (sanitized) turkey baster (every brewery should have one to take samples) and put it into the end of the hose and suck on the other end. Just before the wort (I only use this to siphon from the brew pot) hits the end I pinch the hose and put it into the carboy.

For carboy to carboy or bucket I use a system like this:
http://www.morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=18872

but I only bough the carboy cap since I already have the racking cane. It's quite some work to get the cap over the top of the carboy. But once you have this done, you can pump air into one opening (I put a small cotton ball inside the air tubing to get some filtering) and the beer will come out on the other end. This even works without elevating the carboy.

But since it is such a hassle to get the cap over the carboy I started using it only as a siphon starter. I press the cap onto the carboy top and blow into the air tube. This gets the siphon started and I can let go of the cap once it is flowing.

I don't like the siphon starter. To many parts to clean and sanitize. And it's hard to attach to the carboy or brew pot with a clamp. Though many people swear by it.

Just some ideas.

Kai

Back