Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Proper priming method in bottling bucket?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 02:22 PM   #11
dstranger99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerman0001 View Post
The 4 bottles you put carb drops in put them in a safe place they might blow up. When I bottle i use corn sugar for the priming solution boil for 15 min dump in bottling bucket siphon beer on top of it and give it a gentle stir(no splashing) to make sure it is even throughout the beer. Have never noticed any issues with doing it this way.
^

This, exactly how I do it........

Primary: Caribou Slobber

Kegged: Stout

Bottled: Cent Blonde, Jakes Brown, Stout

I love Yooper........

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 02:57 PM   #12
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2296 Times on 1999 Posts
Likes Given: 1713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apatride View Post
It say:
"Plus there is a greater risk of infection because the sugar has not been boiled."
And my understanding is that boiling to sanitize takes at least 10 minutes.
It's pasteurization that sanitizies the wort,& that happens at about 162F in a few seconds. so I just get 2C of water boiling,then remove from heat & dissolve the measured amount of sugar. Cover & cool till I'm ready to add it to the chilled wort.
Revvy Likes This 
Old 12-05-2012, 03:07 PM   #13
cullen
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apatride View Post
chiteface: I am just a bit paranoid so everything I can sanitize gets sanitized. Let's say that this one is in the "it does not hurt" category.
Boiling sugar water too long can lead to creating a supersaturated solution as you drive off steam, which will tend to crystallize as soon as it's cooled. In candy making, you test this level of saturation by putting some of the syrup into cold water, and seeing whether it's in the soft ball, hard ball, or crack stages. In that case, it's quite possible for some of the sugar (or malt) to fall out of solution and stay in the bottom of the bottling bucket if you don't get a good "swirl" going when you rack in your beer.

You can avoid this by using more water or not boiling long enough to create a thick syrup.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #14
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Just take it up to a boil, and turn off the heat. You'll be fine.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-05-2012, 04:19 PM   #15
cullen
Recipes 

Agree with Revvy. I also pour in the priming sugar solution after starting the rack instead of before.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #16
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 305 Times on 256 Posts

One thing I would like to state is that it seems that a lot of people are paranoid about oxidation. While I don't want to drink liquid cardboard, I also don't want dissimilar carb levels bottle-to-bottle. I stir every time (carefully and slowly so as to not splash or make bubbles). This will not oxidize the beer and will help to mix if conditions are not ideal. That being said, I will agree with Revvy that likely the two solutions will mix pretty readily.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:17 PM   #17
cullen
Recipes 

FWIW, when I rack the beer to the bottling/priming bucket, I stick a racking cane into the bucket. This gives you more control than just sticking the tube into the bucket, ensures that the beer comes in at the bottom (which should improve mixing), gives you a little more leeway on handling the tube (the outside never comes into contact with the beer), and gives you something you can lightly stir with.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:58 PM   #18
Apatride
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Cullen: Thanks, great tip, I am definitely trying this next time!!

Old 12-07-2012, 10:48 AM   #19
chiteface
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

One more thing. This was a PET bottle.

forumrunner_20121207_054804.jpg

Old 12-10-2012, 08:55 PM   #20
ReddHead
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I had a pumpkin beer that the priming sugar did not mix properly with. I poured the priming solution into my bottling bucket and siphoned from my primary into it. I figured the swirling beer from the siphon tube would mix the sugar in thoroughly. Apparently, I was wrong. The first few bottles were super carbonated and I'm lucky they didn't explode. The remaining bottles were completely flat. No carbonation whatsoever.

From now on I pour the solution into the beer and gently stir with my spoon.

Quick Reply