Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Proof that proper conditioning time will only make your beer better

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2010, 07:43 PM   #11
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Coffee Stout - I used 3 oz of Sumatra at the 15min mark (ground coffee from Starbucks) and then Dry hopped with 3 oz of Kona. Also 0 used Oatmeal and Chocolate nibs.

it was outstanding after three weeks - very coffee-like but as time wore on the coffee faded clearing the way for the Chocolate. It was like a new wonderful beer every week.

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2010, 08:50 PM   #12
jangelj
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

is it ok to use coffee grounds right into the brewpot?

I am a relative newby and made up a recipe based on a stout recipe I had made before. I made it mostly the same, but added more hops (I like hops) and about 1/3 cup of that mornings used coffee grounds to the brewpot. I'd have to consult my notes to see when, but I think it was right at the beginning when I added 1/2 of my DME.

Anyway after about 2 weeks in the primary, the coffee taste was def. there, but not too strong. After another couple of weeks in the secondary (corny) I chilled it, carbed it, and the coffee taste has def. mellowed. It is pretty good!

I noticed no ill effects from adding the used grounds, but thought I get another opinion.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:53 PM   #13
Daparish
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I had a maybe-overambitious second brew that was an oatmeal, coffee, chocolate, bourbon stout. Added 2 kinds of chocolate to the boil, 2 oz of sumatran coffee at 15 min, then cracked 2 oz of Kona coffe and soaked that in bourbon during the primary. After 10 days of primary, racked the beer onto the 2 oz of cracked bourbon coffee and let secondary for FOUR WEEKS. When I bottled, the bitter coffe smell was overpowering and I didn't even want to taste it.

Drank a 22 oz bottle after 3 weeks in bottle: pretty strong coffee taste (and I drink my coffee black) and overpoweing coffee after-taste. Couldn't notice much maltiness or chocolate. Now they've been bottled for 5 weeks and the coffee has mellowed and gave way to a more choclate taste. It's truly a testament to aging some of your brews.

If I had to do it over again, I would add coffee only at flame out, as the oils destroy the head on the beer after a few minutes. Also, I'd only let it sit on the cracked coffee beans for 2 weeks max.

Quick Reply