Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Proof that proper conditioning time will only make your beer better

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2010, 03:35 PM   #1
BrookdaleBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Proof that proper conditioning time will only make your beer better

I brewed a coffee porter about 6 weeks ago and tried one after 3 weeks in primary and 1 week in the bottle. The coffee flavor was overwhelming, which wasn't necessarily a bad thing to me since I love black coffee, but I was a little disappointed that the other malt flavors were covered up. I figured lesson learned, I used too much coffee.

Last night I tried another one after 3 weeks in the bottle and noticed that the coffee flavor had mellowed quite a bit and I could detect some of the other malt flavors coming through. This was a very pleasant surprise to me because that is exactly how I wanted the beer to turn out.

I know it's preached constantly here, but I just wanted to add my experience so that other beginners could possibly benefit from it. It's okay to try one or two early (and some even advise it to see how your beer progresses) but for the love of god, WAIT AT LEAST 3 WEEKS UNTIL YOU TEAR INTO YOUR BATCH, IT IS WORTH IT!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2010, 03:46 PM   #2
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I had a two bottles of some Graff I made over two months ago that I left at my brothers house. The graff was delicious and my wife said "I'd even drink that but the fresher stuff is too tart for me". It had a real good smooth apple flavor. I stole five or six bottles back since he drinks Coors/Michelob Ultra swill.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:51 PM   #3
goose1873
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrookdaleBrew View Post
I brewed a coffee porter about 6 weeks ago and tried one after 3 weeks in primary and 1 week in the bottle. The coffee flavor was overwhelming, which wasn't necessarily a bad thing to me since I love black coffee, but I was a little disappointed that the other malt flavors were covered up. I figured lesson learned, I used too much coffee.

Last night I tried another one after 3 weeks in the bottle and noticed that the coffee flavor had mellowed quite a bit and I could detect some of the other malt flavors coming through. This was a very pleasant surprise to me because that is exactly how I wanted the beer to turn out.

I know it's preached constantly here, but I just wanted to add my experience so that other beginners could possibly benefit from it. It's okay to try one or two early (and some even advise it to see how your beer progresses) but for the love of god, WAIT AT LEAST 3 WEEKS UNTIL YOU TEAR INTO YOUR BATCH, IT IS WORTH IT!!!
that style gets better with age...try one in a few months and you will be amazed!!! I brew my porter/stouts in the early summer to drink next holiday season...save a few and you'll start this tradition as well lighter summer ales and IPAs drink better fresh and balance out my carboy usage and keep the kegs full...

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
----Frank Zappa

Old 04-19-2010, 04:00 PM   #4
BrookdaleBrew
Recipes 

I have heard many say that very same thing about darker beers. I plan on keeping a six pack of this one tucked away until the fall. I was considering brewing an imperial stout very soon and then bulk aging it until this winter.

I've got a IIPA keg conditioning and an IPA in the fermentor, plus ingredients for a hefewiezen and a red ale on the way to keep me occupied for now.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:05 PM   #5
goose1873
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Everyone does it there own way, but I would do exactly what you said...they just get so much smoother (not even the same beer)...I love ipa's and esb's for the summer (and all year round for that matter) but there is nothing like a 6month old Chocolate Stout on thanksgiving --before dinner of course

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
----Frank Zappa

Old 04-19-2010, 04:11 PM   #6
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 392

I brewed a standard robust porter on jan 2nd.

tapped the keg mid-feb. it was good, but pretty harsh around the edges. me and my friends drank most of it up feb-march.

kind of left it alone for a few weeks. pulled the last few pints last weekend, and it was amazing. i wouldn't say "totally different beer", but it was much much better.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:59 PM   #7
Babylon
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrookdaleBrew View Post

How much coffee did you use? (And how big a batch of course)

Old 04-19-2010, 07:16 PM   #8
BrookdaleBrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
How much coffee did you use? (And how big a batch of course)
I brewed a 5 gallon batch and just added 1 strong pot of my favorite coffee (Starbuck's French Roast) to the fermentor after a week. Although I think the next time I do a batch with coffee, I'll cold steep for 24hrs rather than brewing it in my Mr. Coffee. Supposedly this method gives you all the coffee flavor but without the coffee bitterness. Coffee.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:24 PM   #9
steinsato
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I brewed a beer that tasted really really malty initially. I think that not only was the recipe a poor one but I also beleive that the yeast died off due to the OG being 1.101 so after it had been kegged and carbonated I let the beer go flat and added another packet of yeast that could better tolerate the high alcohol. It brought the FG down a few more points then I just let it condition for 6 months. Now I have a keg of beer that closely resembles Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale. It ended up being 9.9% abv but finally after 6 months is quite tasty. I was very tempted to dump this beer but I knew it wasn't contaminated, just needed some TLC and some time to age out.

"The ordinary world is only the foam on top of the real world." Tom Robbins (B is for Beer)
"It's a beautiful day for baseball. Let's play two." Ernie Banks

Old 04-19-2010, 07:37 PM   #10
JayInJersey
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I recently found a box of boomers filled with the "Fire and Ice Ale" or whatever it was called.

It was one of my first extract batches and it tasted like arse when I got to drinking it about two years ago.

Now it is really decent. Not great but definitely surprised to see it handled the summers and winters in my garage and turned out better for it.

I guess Mick knew what he was saying about time being on your side.

Quick Reply