Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > The process is frustrating sometimes...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2012, 01:36 PM   #11
logan3825
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I wouldn't use water from a garden hose. I have never had water from a garden hose that didn't have a weird taste to it. If your water tastes good before brewing, then water isn't your problem.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #12
mredge73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog View Post
Since you are doing extract I would suggest buying RO water. You will only need 6-7 gallons which can't be more than 2-3 dollars.
+1
I have one at my local grocery store; take a look around your town and look for one of these or similar:
http://glacierwater.com/ask-glacier/faqs/
It cost $1 per 5 gallons for RO water.
Extract Brewing Water does not need mineral additions since all the minerals needed for healthy yeast growth are already in the extract.

Just beware of the machines that add minerals like the Primo machines in Walmart since they will not tell you what they are adding:
http://www.primowater.com/Water/Taste-Perfection.aspx

Old 10-19-2012, 02:39 PM   #13
Devin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
So how do you control the temperature of your fermentation?
I have a fermentation chamber that I built out of a chest freezer.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:12 PM   #14
Clonefan94
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 181 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjmox14x View Post
Not sure why no one is saying it, but a lot of people taste what is known as "extract twang" in all of their extract batches, and has nothing to do with the water. Search it, a lot of good info and may be able to help pinpoint what you're tasting.
I was just relaying my experience. There are so many factors that go into off tastes in beer, water is actually a good start imo. Heck, having brewed the first two batches 7 weeks ago, some of that "twang" has gone away, but then again, so is most of that beer. Plus, moving to all grain, isn't water quality one of the big issues?

I've had extract brews that didn't have that underlying "taste". A couple I have tasted I never would have known were extract if someone hadn't told me. Then again, they were darker beers. I would assume it's easier to have those flavors hidden in a darker beer than if you are brewing lighte styles.

I'd just be surprised, if you aren't brewing good extract brews, that all grain is going to be the solution to the problem. Extract seems a good way to work out all of those "brewing" issues, before you add the all-grain work into the mix.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:23 PM   #15
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1851 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 1323

The twang usually comes from mailard reactions due to adding all the LME at the begining of the boil. I use plain DME in the boil,& save the LME for flame out & cover to steep for 15 minutes. Since the temp is still 180+,it'll pasteurize that way,since it happens at about 152F. Lighter color & no twang. I've found that using DME in the boil works better than LME. Just save the LME for a late addition. Also,spring water works quite well in my extract recipes.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:37 PM   #16
jb1677
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have the same issue, see any of my posts, they almost all degenerate into the WTF is wrong with my beer. I have done 4 extract brews, 1 partial mash and 1 all grain brew. The first extract was the best by far, all since have been mediocre at best. The only one that has not been tasted yet is the most recent all grain. I have been round and round with this, thinking it was infection though the off taste never gets worse, just a fruity sharp/sour that is sort of there - almost comes and goes when drinking a glass. I replaced hoses and buckets but results are the same. I have tried different yeast, filtering water, campden tablets etc.

My latest attempt changed 2 things: 1 it is all grain and 2 I decided to ferment in a tub of water with regular adds of ice to keep the temps way down. I am hoping that the problem will be solved - the question for me will still remain what solved it but really I dont care as long as it makes good beer.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #17
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

The fruity tast usually comes from ale yeast esters. The higher the temp,the more prominent it can be.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:55 PM   #18
sok454
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Still wish I knew about adding the LME at flameout vs initially... ugh....

Old 10-19-2012, 06:07 PM   #19
xjmox14x
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
I was just relaying my experience. There are so many factors that go into off tastes in beer, water is actually a good start imo. Heck, having brewed the first two batches 7 weeks ago, some of that "twang" has gone away, but then again, so is most of that beer. Plus, moving to all grain, isn't water quality one of the big issues?

I've had extract brews that didn't have that underlying "taste". A couple I have tasted I never would have known were extract if someone hadn't told me. Then again, they were darker beers. I would assume it's easier to have those flavors hidden in a darker beer than if you are brewing lighte styles.

I'd just be surprised, if you aren't brewing good extract brews, that all grain is going to be the solution to the problem. Extract seems a good way to work out all of those "brewing" issues, before you add the all-grain work into the mix.
Yup, water is a key factor in all grain brewing. The different balance of minerals can greatly affect certain types of beer... which is why certain areas of the world brew certain types of beer. Their water profile is suited for it. With extract, however, distilled or RO water is typically considered the best because the extract already has the minerals it needs in it, so playing around with water chemistry typically is not a concern.

I definitely agree with you on moving to all grain though. I don't think it should stop you, but if you want to really refine your process, starting and perfecting a simpler extract procedure would be the way to go. I believe there are ways around that "twang" as outstanding award winning beers have been brewed with extract, but I couldn't tell you exactly how, or the science behind it.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:11 PM   #20
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sok454 View Post
Still wish I knew about adding the LME at flameout vs initially... ugh....
Late extract additions help reduce mailard reactions that darken the color (caramelization) & cause that twang. That's why I save most of the extracts for flame out.

Quick Reply