The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > The process is frustrating sometimes...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2012, 02:04 AM   #1
Devin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default The process is frustrating sometimes...

I started brewing February of this year. I have 7 batches to date. All have been extract-based brews with steeping grains added for flavor. I have been moderately happy with all of them, but they all seem to share a slight twang that I am not fond of. I have tried some different things with all of them, but that strange twang is still there regardless of what recipe I brew. The only thing that has been a constant is the water that I use and the extract (Briess extra-light DME).

I have been reading that medicinal tones can be caused by chloramine. I am not sure if I would describe this "twang" as medicinal, but my next batch I am going to try treating the water with campden to see if that helps.

I am on the verge of going all-grain, but I would really like to crank out an extract brew that really "wowed" me first. Don't get me wrong, all of my brews so far have been pretty good - but not amazing.

The frustrating part is that each thing that I try takes so long to see the results. I wish that I could just make these changes in my process and see quicker results instead of having to wait for 4-6 weeks or more before seeing the effect of the change. Oh well, it is what it is.

Rant over.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 02:09 AM   #2
menerdari
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I suggest your next batch be with another water source, spring water from the store or something to see if your water is the problem.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:53 AM   #3
Clonefan94
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 179 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by menerdari View Post
I suggest your next batch be with another water source, spring water from the store or something to see if your water is the problem.
This, first two I brewed had a "taste" to them. I actually stepped up to a full carbon block <1 micron water filter and I can actually pull my water from a garden hose now. Chlorine and Chloramine will definitely leave a "twang" in your beer. I went to home depot, grabbed a whole house water filter housing (2.5 x 10 inch filter) and bought the best solid carbon block filter they had for it. It has made a world of difference in the taste of my beers. The twang is gone.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:59 AM   #4
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Since you are doing extract I would suggest buying RO water. You will only need 6-7 gallons which can't be more than 2-3 dollars.

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

Old 10-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #5
sok454
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Due to the Chloramine in our water I used distilled for my first batch. Hoping it worked out. Our water dist. recently changed the well they used and the water since then has been very minerally... yeah think I made that up.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:53 AM   #6
xjmox14x
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Not sure why no one is saying it, but a lot of people taste what is known as "extract twang" in all of their extract batches, and has nothing to do with the water. Search it, a lot of good info and may be able to help pinpoint what you're tasting.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:08 PM   #7
Hernando
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjmox14x View Post
Not sure why no one is saying it, but a lot of people taste what is known as "extract twang" in all of their extract batches, and has nothing to do with the water. Search it, a lot of good info and may be able to help pinpoint what you're tasting.
I agree with xjmox14x. However, I haven't experienced the twang in my extracts but below is a link with some good theories as to what causes it. Perhaps trying a DME instead of LME would cure your aches. Or, finding a different source of LME; perhaps adding yeast nutrients. Regardless, there is some interesting reading in that link, cheers.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/poss...anation-32621/

On a off note OP, That is a sweet Bronco.
"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, it is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver." --Jack Handey
O'tega Brewing

Old 10-19-2012, 01:19 PM   #8
Devin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 20

All of my brews have been made with DME.

Hernando - thanks. That was/is a long project!

Old 10-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #9
LarryC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 19

There is always a bit of controversy on extract brewing and the "twang". You can listen to some pretty good discussion on the BYO podcasts that go into detail about brewing with extract and not having any twang. There point is that it is more the process than just extract vs. all grain. One area they continually stress is fermentation temperature control.

I also found my first batches having a off flavor that I couldn't quite get rid of. A while back I bought a freezer, some temp controllers and built a fermentation chamber. Since controlling my fermentation temperature more closely, I have zero off flavors.

So how do you control the temperature of your fermentation?

Old 10-19-2012, 01:35 PM   #10
dstranger99
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I get that same twang as OP.......I also steep grains, but I've been using LME with my batches.... All the beer has been good, but that twang is always there. Even used all spring water on 2 batches, but it was still there...

Primary: Centennial Blonde

Kegged: Stout

Upcoming: Porter

I love Yooper........

Quick Reply