Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > procedures for kegging?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2006, 01:35 AM   #1
rdwj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

Default procedures for kegging?

Let me start by saying that I'm just in the research phase of brewing. I haven't purchased a single piece of equipment yet, but don't mind spending a little more to get it right from the start.

I'm thinking that I'd rather keg beer than bottle it. I've read all the beginner guides and done some other searches for kegging information and haven't really found the answers I'm looking for, so I figured I'd ask.

I'm using the John Palmer guide for starters. What do I have to do differently to keg beer?

Also, if there are any basic steps or tips I can add to this guide right off the bad, I'd greatly appreciate the advice.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2006, 02:08 AM   #2
Spyk'd

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Kegging will cut out an entire day of your brewing routine. You just rack into the keg, pressurize to carbonate, then pressurize to serve. About a week after kegging, you're enjoying your brew....

Ok, disclaimer: Your beer will taste better with a week or two beyond that, but you get the idea. Kegging is a ton easier and a hell of alot sexier, when you can pull yourself a pint of draught in your own house.

Welcome to the dark side!

American Red
Keg Conditioning:
Gruit
On Tap:
ESB
Bottled:
Nada...
On Deck:
Porter, Belgian Abbey Ale

Old 06-24-2006, 02:32 AM   #3
chask31
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Wow spyk'd from the looks of your signature...you must be real thirsty...

Tap #1: Cucumber Honey Wheat Ale
Tap #2: Rye Ale
Primary #1: empty
Primary #2: empty
On Deck: Wit

Old 06-24-2006, 02:42 AM   #4
Spyk'd

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chask31
Wow spyk'd from the looks of your signature...you must be real thirsty...

If you must know, I'm currently sneaking some cider. You see, I made a six gallon batch to accomodate the yeast sediment, to allow for testing, and to allow me to top off my five gallon secondary. What say you we do with the surplus? Why drink it I say!

But yeah, I hit a bit of a 'bump' a few weeks ago and am just now getting back on track. I brew tomorrow!
American Red
Keg Conditioning:
Gruit
On Tap:
ESB
Bottled:
Nada...
On Deck:

Old 06-24-2006, 02:07 PM   #5
rdwj

Recipes 

Thanks for the reply Spyk'd, I appreciate it. I'm still very green, so I hope you don't mind me asking some follow-up questions.

From what I gather, you're saying that I should go right from the carboy to the keg. Is that right? Is there a need for secondary?

I'm hoping for a little more detail on this too
"You just rack into the keg, pressurize to carbonate, then pressurize to serve. "

Can you explain how I pressurize to carbonate in detail? Do I prime right in the keg? How long? Do I leave it un-pressurized for a while before pressurizing to serve?

Then, once I pressurize to serve, I assume it's good to drink, right?

Lastly, are there options in kegging or is the korny keg about the best option for beginners?

Old 06-24-2006, 02:46 PM   #6
sailman
Recipes 

try this link... http://www.northernbrewer.com/docs/html/corny-keg.html and this... http://www.leeners.com/kegcleaning.html and one more... http://www.leeners.com/kegginghow2.html

Bottled: Cherry Wheat
Bottled: Raspberry Wheat
Bottled: Traditional Mead
Bottled: Cheesefood's Caramel Cream Ale

Fermentor (2): Common Cider

Secondary: Holiday Cider

Old 06-24-2006, 03:41 PM   #7
Spyk'd

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwj
Thanks for the reply Spyk'd, I appreciate it. I'm still very green, so I hope you don't mind me asking some follow-up questions.

From what I gather, you're saying that I should go right from the carboy to the keg. Is that right? Is there a need for secondary?

I'm hoping for a little more detail on this too
"You just rack into the keg, pressurize to carbonate, then pressurize to serve. "

Can you explain how I pressurize to carbonate in detail? Do I prime right in the keg? How long? Do I leave it un-pressurized for a while before pressurizing to serve?

Then, once I pressurize to serve, I assume it's good to drink, right?

Lastly, are there options in kegging or is the korny keg about the best option for beginners?

No, no, no. I said to rack into the keg on bottling day (i.e. after at least 10 days in primary and two weeks in secondary). I've used a secondary since day one and think everyone should, for every batch, every time.

Here's 'Me' on carbonation. As a side note, serving pressure will change from style to style. As a general rule (very general) the darker the beer the less psi (higher temp too). Technically you can drink your beer after about 12 hours of forced carbonation, but you will be rewarded by waiting a full week (see link).

There are 5 gallon cornie kegs and there are 3 gallon. Unless you are pressed for space, I'd go with the 5 gallon; they're cheaper (yes, that's right!) and will accomodate a full 5 gallon batch, which is the norm.

Hope all this helps! Now get out there and brew!
American Red
Keg Conditioning:
Gruit
On Tap:
ESB
Bottled:
Nada...
On Deck:

Old 06-24-2006, 07:32 PM   #8
Sephro
Recipes 

Here are some tips for where to buy equipment.

I bought my 15# CO2 tank and my regulator from beveragefactory.com for $123.00 plus shipping
I bought my kegs at homebrewing.org they where $14/ea when I got them. I think they are a few more $ now but not much. They come uncleaned but are in really nice shape. I bought the O-ring kit from them for like $3/ea keg.

Then just hose from local hardware store and some quick connects from mcmaster.com

If you ever decide you want to bottle you can buy a filler and have the best of both worlds.

One thing with kegging is you better have an extra fridge because you can't fit it in a fridge and use it at the same time...

Kegged - Munich ale
Secondary - Rye IPA
Aging – Mead

Old 06-24-2006, 11:03 PM   #9
rdwj

Recipes 

Excellent! Thanks guys.

Looks like I'm ready to do some shopping and get rolling. I'll let you know how it goes!

Old 06-25-2006, 01:09 AM   #10
nosnhojr
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwj
Let me start by saying that I'm just in the research phase of brewing. I haven't purchased a single piece of equipment yet, but don't mind spending a little more to get it right from the start.

I'm thinking that I'd rather keg beer than bottle it. I've read all the beginner guides and done some other searches for kegging information and haven't really found the answers I'm looking for, so I figured I'd ask.

I'm using the John Palmer guide for starters. What do I have to do differently to keg beer?

Also, if there are any basic steps or tips I can add to this guide right off the bad, I'd greatly appreciate the advice.
Sounds like you're off to a good start! I'm pretty new to homebrewing as well, and I started the same way: lots of reading, then straight to kegging. I found Papazian's "Joy of Homebrewing" and "Homebrewing for Dummies" very useful. The Dummies book is better than you might expect, and the chapter on kegging goes through all the steps in gory detail.

While kegging is much simpler than bottling, one question you have to ask yourself is where you'll keep the kegs. I have a dedicated refridgerator in the basement that'll hold several 5 gal kegs. It's great when I'm working down in the basement, but other times (such as when watching TV upstairs), it would be better to have bottles in the kitchen fridge.

Today I ended up bottling the remainder of my last batch from the keg. Using 22oz bottles, it wasn't bad at all. In fact, I got a lot of pleasure out of seeing my creation bottled!

Kegging is great, but you may find that bottling is also something you want to try. I'm pretty sure I'll do both. My next beer is a hefeweizen, and I'm thinking of going straight to bottles (ie, using sugar to carbonate in the bottle, rather than force-carbonating in the keg).

on tap: raspberry melomel
primary: first all-grain!

Quick Reply