Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Problems hitting starting gravity

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2011, 04:37 PM   #11
blackbear219
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle6286 View Post
I figured I'd ask this question in this thread since it relates to it. Since I'm still doing partial boils, I typically top off to a little more than 5 gallons to account for trub. If I top off to the 5 gallon point, I won't actually be getting 5 gallons to drink. This weekend, I made BM's centennial blonde and topped off to about 5.25 gallons. Is this ok, or did I set myself up for a lower than intended SG?
I always start a little over the 5 gallon mark so that when I lose some racking, taking hydrometer samples, etc that I end up with about 5 gallons when I am done. I think you'll be fine...the most that an extra 1/4th gallon is going to make can't be much more than a couple 1/10ths of a % ABV.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2011, 04:38 PM   #12
kyle6286
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I did and it was a little higher, but my wort was warmer than 60 degrees and I may not have mixed the top off water well enough. I'm assuming the sample I took was just more concentrated.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:05 PM   #13
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

If you use an aeration stone, and mount it on a wand (like a piece of racking cane or ss tube like the willaim's brewing setup) you can use a combination of the o2 coming out of the stone and the wand itself as a whip to mix up the wort and water into a healthy froth. You're mixing the wort and aerating it at the same time.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-09-2011, 05:38 PM   #14
the_Sliver
Recipes 

I'm reading a lot on here about the problems of pitching the yeast if the temperature is too high (e.g. over 80*F). Is there any harm in pitching the yeast if it's too cold (e.g. 50 - 60*F)?

Old 08-09-2011, 05:39 PM   #15
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_Sliver View Post
I'm reading a lot on here about the problems of pitching the yeast if the temperature is too high (e.g. over 80*F). Is there any harm in pitching the yeast if it's too cold (e.g. 50 - 60*F)?
Dormancy of the yeast if it is below the snooze temp of the yeast. But once it goes up, they'll wake up. But you may get a bit of a lag time.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply