Problem with my oatmeal stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenoglass

Not only do I brew but I play ukulele!
Reaction score
So I brewed up this recipe and got some feedback from a comp. They said it tasted sour yet I am pretty sure my sanitation was good so not sure what happened. Here is my recipe
Fermentables
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
1.5 lb Flaked Oats 33 2.2 16.7%
2.5 lb United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale 38 3.75 27.8%
0.5 lb American - Black Malt 28 500 5.6%
0.5 lb United Kingdom - Dark Crystal 80L 33 80 5.6%
3 lb Liquid Malt Extract - Dark 35 30 33.3%
1 lb Dry Malt Extract - Dark 44 30 11.1%
9 lb Total

I used fuggles hops and wlp. 004

I might have started the ferm to high in the start. I realized it jumped to 72 over night but not sure if that's what did it. Any clues???

I have a couple questions that may lead to clues. What were the temperatures of the beer during the ferment, not just the starting temp but at various times during the ferment. How long did you let the beer ferment and did you rack it to secondary? If you used a secondary, how many days did you leave the beer in primary and secondary?

I have a couple questions that may lead to clues. What were the temperatures of the beer during the ferment, not just the starting temp but at various times during the ferment. How long did you let the beer ferment and did you rack it to secondary? If you used a secondary, how many days did you leave the beer in primary and secondary?

After the initial day I brought it to my basement and kept it around 65. I left it to ferment for about 3 weeks. I don't have a secondary so it bottomed out and I bottled it. I thought maybe the yeast was the cause using wlp 004 Irish ale yeast.

How long was the beer bottle conditioned and what was the bottle conditioning temperature? How much elapsed time between the end of bottle conditioning and the judging?

How long was the beer bottle conditioned and what was the bottle conditioning temperature? How much elapsed time between the end of bottle conditioning and the judging?

I condition room temp around 68-70 for 2 weeks. Then put them in basement around 63-65 for 1 weeks before bringing them to shop where they sat for another 2 weeks before judging.

A side note I also entered into anther comp a week later then this one and it got 4 extra points...I just have not received the sheets yet to see comments.

Last edited:
I brew a dry Irish stout. I don't sample it until it has had at least 6 weeks of bottle conditioning at 68°F. They have a slight sour taste before that amount of time and don't finish with the dry feel on the back of the tongue.

I brew a dry Irish stout. I don't sample it until it has had at least 6 weeks of bottle conditioning at 68°F. They have a slight sour taste before that amount of time and don't finish with the dry feel on the back of the tongue.

Since it's been in 60 temps will this take the slight sour taste longer to disappear?

Give the beer another two weeks of warm conditioning before you sample another one. If you still perceive some sourness, then it is possible the sour comes from another source instead of a to short and cool conditioning time.

Back