Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Problem with making sourdough bread and beer in same room?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2009, 05:59 PM   #1
Dauntless
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Problem with making sourdough bread and beer in same room?

Hello everyone, I've started brewing this summer with a couple can kits. I also make sourdough bread several times a week.

Now sourdough starter is a mix of local yeasts and lactobacillus bacteria. None of the batches I've made have gotten lactobacillus infections, but I imagine the risk might be there. The wild yeasts I'm taking care of might make the jump as well.

Should I quarantine my sourdough starter?

Could I inoculate a batch with this starter and make a sour beer?

Or am I just a little crazy to be worried? Maybe I should just RDWHAHB and start making sour beers.

Ps. I know the can kits aren't too great, but 1oz hops goes for 10$ at my LHBS...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2009, 06:32 PM   #2
chemman14
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntless View Post
Hello everyone, I've started brewing this summer with a couple can kits. I also make sourdough bread several times a week.

Now sourdough starter is a mix of local yeasts and lactobacillus bacteria. None of the batches I've made have gotten lactobacillus infections, but I imagine the risk might be there. The wild yeasts I'm taking care of might make the jump as well.

Should I quarantine my sourdough starter?

Could I inoculate a batch with this starter and make a sour beer?

Or am I just a little crazy to be worried? Maybe I should just RDWHAHB and start making sour beers.

Ps. I know the can kits aren't too great, but 1oz hops goes for 10$ at my LHBS...
ur LHBS charges $10 an oz for hops? wow that's criminal

Old 09-05-2009, 07:36 PM   #3
Baldy_Beer_Brewery
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

The yeast won't "make the jump" as you described. As long as you tend to sanitization and don't cross contaminate containers, spoons or other utensils I wouldn't worry about it.

And order your crap online if your lhbs charges that kind of money for hops. They are likely overcharging for other crap as well.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:41 PM   #4
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntless View Post
Holly crap! You're in Canada right...... not Antarctica. I can't see why the hops would be so outrageously expensive if the other brewing ingredients aren't marked up just as much. I would be finding another supplier.

Also, welcome to homebrewtalk.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:42 PM   #5
Dauntless
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the input. I got bread and beer starting fermentation tonight.

As for my LHBS, they sell equipment for less than what I see online and have malted grains for 2$ a pound. I did get a "deal" today and got a half ounce of cz saaz hops for 2$. I'll be dry hopping with it.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:05 AM   #6
bhatchable
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I actually want to purposely use a sourdough starter in my next batch. its going to be a one gallon experiment...

Old 09-07-2009, 02:45 AM   #7
Dauntless
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Would you just make a wort like usual and add a few tablespoons of starter? Before pitching, after pitching, instead of pitching?

It might try and follow your lead on such a project. See what the results are from two opposite ends of the continent. My starter has a very strong leavening power even though it has never come in contact with commercial yeasts.

Another starving grad student fighting sobriety.

Old 09-07-2009, 05:32 AM   #8
dantodd

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Been thinking the same thing. I have a good SF sourdough starter going. Thinking about using a half oz or so in a starter.

Old 09-07-2009, 05:51 AM   #9
bhatchable
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My plan (for a one gallon test batch) is to mash one pound of two row in a quart of water, cool, then pitch about 1/2 cup of sourdough starter. Let this concoction sit for 24 hours or so. Then on brew day mash another pound of two row, with a few ounces of something else for color (thinking maybe biscuit or some crystal 40). once done with this mash start boil. then i plan on straining the sourdough slurry into the boil through a fine sieve. a bit of hallertau at 30 minutes, bit of whirfloc at 15, then cool and pitch neutral ale yeast (probably culture a bit of the cali cake from my beer in primary now). I think I'm going to start this one soon, I've got a starter from neighborhood bakery!

Old 09-07-2009, 01:47 PM   #10
Dauntless
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So you'd be souring half the beer (grain wise) for 24 hours, sterilizing, then brewing as usual. Sounds like fun.

Another starving grad student fighting sobriety.

Quick Reply