The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Probably the dumbest brew question ever

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2009, 04:17 AM   #1
duskb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Probably the dumbest brew question ever

So it occurred to me tonight. Every now and then I put in too much "brew water" in the pot while brewing and by the time I get to dump in my specialty grain water I'm at the edge of the pot with no more room for the remaining water I soaked the grains in. It seems like a waste to toss it.

Anyways, my question is this. I suppose I could boil for 10-20 minutes and dump in the residual grain water in after I boil off that excess H20 but how will that affect the 60 minute hop boil? Do you have to start the clock all over again? Is it even worth it?

From a chemistry perspective I would imagine (especially for darker brews) it is better to get as much of the soaked grain water into the brew as you can since it will dilute the ratio of the colored water to my clear brew water.

Should I spend more time worring about something else?

----
Dusk Bennett
Audio Engineer
Los Angeles CA
www.duskbennett.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2009, 04:32 AM   #2
PintOfBitter
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

steep your grains in your brew water from the get-go and you won't have that problem. why are they separate right now?

-PoB

Maybe you can use these Grain, Hops, Yeast Reference Charts
Come visit WildHopsPrintShop.com- custom bottle caps, beer glassware, tap handles, and more!

Old 06-27-2009, 04:34 AM   #3
duskb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PintOfBitter View Post
steep your grains in your brew water from the get-go and you won't have that problem. why are they separate right now?

Grains steeping in one pot for about 20-30 min. Extract and brew water boiling in the other. Combining the both trhough a strainer at about 35-40 min. This time I had extra.

I just boiled it off and dumped the rest in. Next time I'll just start out with less water in the extract pot. so I don't run out of room.

----
Dusk Bennett
Audio Engineer
Los Angeles CA
www.duskbennett.com

Old 06-27-2009, 04:51 AM   #4
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 598 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 54

If you find yourself with excess volume by the time you're ready to start the boil, delay adding the hops until you've boiled off enough to add back anything you don't want to toss. Then start the timer and begin adding hops.

I hope that's clear enough.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:53 AM   #5
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I always steep my grains first and that water, with top off, becomes the brew water for my extract and hop additions. I suppose your method could be a time saver, but I do a partial boil. I start with 3 gallons, total after topping off the steeping grain water, and add half my extract up front to create a wort that is similar in composition to a five to six gallon boil so that the hop utilization is correct then add the last of my extract in the last couple of minutes. Trying to add my steeping water in the middle of that would throw my "calculated" method all out of whack!!!

Old 06-27-2009, 05:10 AM   #6
duskb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
I always steep my grains first and that water, with top off, becomes the brew water for my extract and hop additions. I suppose your method could be a time saver, but I do a partial boil. I start with 3 gallons, total after topping off the steeping grain water, and add half my extract up front to create a wort that is similar in composition to a five to six gallon boil so that the hop utilization is correct then add the last of my extract in the last couple of minutes. Trying to add my steeping water in the middle of that would throw my "calculated" method all out of whack!!!
Thank you both for the posts....makes much more sense to me now.

----
Dusk Bennett
Audio Engineer
Los Angeles CA
www.duskbennett.com

Old 06-27-2009, 02:08 PM   #7
boydak
Recipes 

I steep in a gallon than bring it up to 2.5 for a partial boil.

Quick Reply