New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Priming without a bottling bucket

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2008, 10:50 AM   #11
EvilTOJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
I would be really concerned with a stir and settle method. The main problem is that the sugar will also settle out of solution. You won't get an even carbonation with that method.
Sugar is water soluable, and won't settle out of suspension. I would bottle it just the way the Mr. Beer instructions say. Where's revvy? He's our resident Mr. Beer expert.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2008, 05:23 PM   #12
shootermcgavin7
Recipes 

Thanks guys. I'll add the sugar directly to the bottles this time, that seems to be the consensus.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:44 PM   #13
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTOJ View Post
Sugar is water soluable, and won't settle out of suspension. I would bottle it just the way the Mr. Beer instructions say. Where's revvy? He's our resident Mr. Beer expert.
Oh right. Basic science. It would have to be saturated to do so.

How do people get uneven carbonation from bottle to bottle? Is it just not mixed enough? I never had a problem with bottling, but I moved to kegs pretty quick, so I guess I never explored that issue because I never had it.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:52 PM   #14
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

uneven carbonation from bottle to bottle comes from not stirring you sugar priming solution into your beer before you bottle it. I put the priming sugar solution into the bottling bucket then rack on top of that to bottle and it works great.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:00 PM   #15
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2660 Times on 1605 Posts
Likes Given: 3449

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTOJ View Post

I was driving to work...it is the first week of MedSchool...So my waking up at "zero dark thirty" is "Zero Dark on the hour." And I'm starting work at 7:30 am all week...

What's the question?

Oh yes, mr beer and bottling..

I recommend racking from the mr beer to another spigoted container, adding sugar syrup and bottling from there like in regular batches...A hardware store bucket and plastic spigot is cheap, but any container with a spigot will work, a 2-3 gallon cooler, anything really... When I used to brew with it, I attached a 1/2" rubber tube to the spigot of the mr beer and racked it to a cooler, then attached the rubber hose to the spigot on the cooler and then bottled from there...

The point is, getting it off the yeast and getting the priming solution mixed.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply