Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Priming When Kegging?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2012, 10:56 PM   #1
twilbrew247
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Priming When Kegging?

I'm about to rack my first batch. Everything that I have read tells me I should prime the batch when kegging but with less priming sugar than if bottling. But my friend says I don't need to prime since I'm going to have gas hooked up to it. Any suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2012, 11:01 PM   #2
BryceL
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts

You do not need to prime it if you have it hooked up to your CO2 (force carbed). There is another method where you can prime it with sugar, basically using your keg as a giant bottle, but you do not need to do that if you will be using CO2.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:06 PM   #3
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 266

If you prime with sugar you'll have to leave it at room temp to carbonate. That means another ~3 weeks before you can pour. Plus you'll have to deal with the sediment in the bottom of the keg (comes up in at least the first pint). Neither issues happen when you force carbknate. I would just make damned sure the brew is otherwise ready to go to glass before moving it to keg. Then just set it at serving temperature, and pressure, for two weeks before you pull a pint.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 06-27-2012, 11:13 PM   #4
twilbrew247
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for the comments. I'm planning on cold crashing it tomorrow so seems it wouldn't be a good idea (or even necessary) to prime.

Thanks.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:23 PM   #5
Golddiggie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilbrew247 View Post
Thanks for the comments. I'm planning on cold crashing it tomorrow so seems it wouldn't be a good idea (or even necessary) to prime.

Thanks.
I've yet to cold crash any beer I've made. I simply give it enough time for the yeast to flocculate out and then transfer to keg. Of course, since I'm transferring with a CO2 push, I don't need to move the primary to do that. If your brew is clear (I'd leave it in primary until it has cleared) then you just need to rack to keg and put it into the fridge/keezer/etc. Let it rest there for about 24 hours, then connect it up to the CO2 feed.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 06-27-2012, 11:36 PM   #6
twilbrew247
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

What's the best way to rack to a keg? Should I just purge the keg with beergas first then just siphon?

Old 06-27-2012, 11:41 PM   #7
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1074 Times on 782 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilbrew247 View Post
What's the best way to rack to a keg? Should I just purge the keg with beergas first then just siphon?
That's what I do.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:44 PM   #8
Golddiggie
Recipes 

Once the keg is clean, and sanitized, fill it with CO2 (you only need 5psi for this case) then pull the relief valve in the lid to remove the pressure. You'll still have CO2 in the lower part of the keg. Fill from the bottom (obviously) and the CO2 will blanket the brew as you fill.

BTW, 'beergas' is a mix of CO2 and nitrogen (typically 75% nitrogen, 25% CO2, but can be 80/20 too) and not something you would carbonate with. You carbonate, typically, with CO2. IF you want to use a stout tap and get the typical Guinness style pour, you would set the keg on beergas once it's fully carbonated. You'll also need to have the beergas at a higher PSI than CO2 in order to maintain the carbonation level. I've not done this (yet) since I really don't have the space for it. It is something I plan on doing this fall/winter though.

Something to keep in mind, depending on what you ferment in, you could transfer with a CO2 push too. Carboys can be fitted with the caps that allow you to put the racking cane (in the middle) and a hose to the CO2 regulator on the other nipple. You only use a couple of PSI to get the beer to flow. It does make it easier, IMO/IME this way. I also use the liquid post on the keg to fill it. So, I don't put anything into my sanitized keg other than beer, when filling it. Since I fill two 3 gallon kegs with every batch, I do watch as it fills (covering the opening with a clean, sanitized, towel).

Fermenting
K1:
twilbrew247 Likes This 
Old 06-27-2012, 11:55 PM   #9
twilbrew247
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Awesome...you answered a couple more of my questions too.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:30 AM   #10
JeepDiver
Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 112 Posts

If you force carve you will get 5-6 legs per 5lb tank of CO2. If you prime with sugar you will get closer to 15 tanks a bottle. You also give the beer a few more weeks to age which never hurts. Just a few ++ for priming

Quick Reply