The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Priming sugar: Volume vs. Weight

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
tmoney645
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Priming sugar: Volume vs. Weight

Ok, I am trying to figure out why my beer has been under carbed. I am batch priming with corn sugar, I used the calc on tasteybrew. The only thing is I have to measure by volume instead of by weight (no scale yet). Does any know if there is a significant difference between volume and weight at around 3.5oz? Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Go get a 20 dollar digital scale from any store.

yes there is a difference between measuring dry ingredients by volume vs weight. There's a classic experiment that Alton Brown did on his show where he took a half cup of unsifted and sifted flour and weighed them both and showed there was a substantial difference in weight between the two.

You can do this your self with a measuring cup of brown sugar. Fill a half cup with brown sugar. Now press the sugar down in the cup. How much is there? Half? Now go and get some more brown sugar and cram all that into the cup. So now you have a half cup of sugar that has twice as much sugar in it as before you compressed it.

Think that would affect carbonation?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #3
peterj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 69

What volume of sugar are you adding? The tastybrew calculator is giving you the weight of sugar in ounces but volume is measured in fluid ounces which are unrelated. Northen Brewer gives you weight and volume: http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/. If you are only putting 3.5 fluid ounces instead of 3.5 weighed ounces then that wouldn't be enough and is probably the problem.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
peterj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I agree with Revvy. You can get a small scale for really cheap on Amazon. They are INCREDIBLY useful for priming sugar, hops, etc.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:10 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1294

Go to the kitchen stuff isle at wallmart. I got mine there for $20,along with some other brew useful items. I gotta remember to get some of those paper dixie cups to use for weighing hops & other bits of stuff.
Revvy Likes This 
Old 12-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #6
logdrum
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
Go to the kitchen stuff isle at wallmart. I got mine there for $20,along with some other brew useful items. I gotta remember to get some of those paper dixie cups to use for weighing hops & other bits of stuff.
Bah! Boycott Walmart

Old 12-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #7
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 595 Times on 446 Posts
Likes Given: 234

+1. i just ordered a backup scale for myself (because i know mine will fail eventually, and you can't have a brew day without one) from amazon for $10, and got free shipping 'cause i ordered a bunch of other stuff: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o01_s00_i00

tell me you wouldn't pay $10 to ensure all your future beers are properly carbed...

Drinking: a belgian pale ale, a belgian imperial stout, an Epic 09.09.09 clone, a brett'ed saison
Carbing: a hop-bursted APA, a citra farmhouse
Fermenting: an abbey ale (to be soured)
Aging: an oud bruin, a BDSA/Dubbel thingy, a soured fruit saison, my "wild oats" brett/sour, a saison with a brett mix added at bottling.
Up next: TBD, probably not brewing again until july.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:25 PM   #8
tmoney645
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

That what I figured, I knew there was a difference, I was just hoping at these small amounts that it was negligable. Not so much lol. I am fairly certain Santa is bringing me a nice scale with a tare funtion so all this should be taken care of Thanks for the input guys!

Old 12-17-2012, 04:26 PM   #9
iamperplexed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterj View Post
What volume of sugar are you adding? The tastybrew calculator is giving you the weight of sugar in ounces but volume is measured in fluid ounces which are unrelated. Northen Brewer gives you weight and volume: http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/. If you are only putting 3.5 fluid ounces instead of 3.5 weighed ounces then that wouldn't be enough and is probably the problem.

That being said, I just used 4.3oz of corn sugar for an Amber Ale which "shows" as over a cup in my measuring cup. Northern Brewer calculator shows that amount as 0.5 cup on their chart. A little confusing. I used my digital scale by weight but was shocked to see it "showing" over a cup when I transferred it to a measuring cup for reference. My last Stout was a bit over carbed and I'm getting more and more nervous about bombs. Wish I could feel better about my measurments. Maybe my $5 digital scale from e-bay is proving the old "get what you pay for" theory.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #10
peterj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamperplexed View Post
That being said, I just used 4.3oz of corn sugar for an Amber Ale which "shows" as over a cup in my measuring cup. Northern Brewer calculator shows that amount as 0.5 cup on their chart. A little confusing. I used my digital scale by weight but was shocked to see it "showing" over a cup when I transferred it to a measuring cup for reference. My last Stout was a bit over carbed and I'm getting more and more nervous about bombs. Wish I could feel better about my measurments. Maybe my $5 digital scale from e-bay is proving the old "get what you pay for" theory.
It might not be the scale. Volume measurements for priming sugar are really inaccurate and variable. There are so many factors that can change like how you pack it or moisture content or any number of things.

But if you're worried about your scale you can always get this scale that sweetcell posted: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o01_s00_i00. I have that exact one and it has always worked like a charm. Only $10.

Quick Reply