Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Priming sugar for Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2007, 03:26 PM   #1
Evan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Priming sugar for Stout

Going to be bottling my Stout sometime either today or this week, i always prime with 5oz of corn sugar, i've read about using brown sugar, even malt extract...what are some advantages of using brown sugar or extract? about how much should i use of either?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2007, 03:32 PM   #2
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The advantage or disadvantage of any primer is the effect it will have on the flavor. Malt is generally considered to have the least impact on flavor, but it sometimes leaves a tiny krausen ring in the bottle. Brown sugar can add nice flavors to a dark beer. You might do some with one primer and some with another so that you can see the difference and decide which one you prefer.

BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Old 12-02-2007, 03:53 PM   #3
eddie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Here's a nice calculator that'll help you figure out how much priming sugar to add to a variety of brews.

http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/rec...rbonation.html

Old 12-03-2007, 09:54 PM   #4
Evan
Recipes 

i might do half with one priming sugar and half with another...thanks!

thanks for the link too!

Quick Reply