The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Priming sugar sank to the bottom of my bottling bucket

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2011, 02:13 AM   #1
LAKing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Priming sugar sank to the bottom of my bottling bucket

I just finished bottling my 5th batch of beer, the Saison recipe from Brewing Classic Styles. OG 1.064, FG 1.008. After cold crashing, I primed with 4.75 oz of corn sugar boiled in 2 cups of water. After filling all of my bottles, I poured a glass from the bottom of the bottling bucket and it tasted really sweet. I measured the gravity of the sweet tasting beer, and it was around 1.075. I then poured out the 12th bottle that I filled, and it measured right at the FG of 1.008.

I'm pretty sure I am going to get some sort of uneven carbonation across all of my bottles. Should I be worried about bottle bombs from the last few bottles I filled? Am I going to get some flat beers, some adequately carbonated, and some bottle bombs?

I'm pissed, because everything had gone perfectly up until this point. Nailed OG and FG, and the beer tasted great out of the fermenter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2011, 02:20 AM   #2
Germelli1
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Many of us bottlers pour the sugar into the bottling bucket. Then place the siphon hose in the bottom of the bucket so it siphons the beer in a swirling motion. I will usually give it a minute or two of gently stirring after that.

It may be in adequately mixed, and the only thing I can think of to do is gently pour them back into the bucket and re fille. But that would be a pain in the ass and guaranteed oxydation.

If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

Old 09-08-2011, 02:24 AM   #3
LAKing
Recipes 

I am assuming because the SG of the bottom of the bottling bucket was 1.075 that almost none of the priming auger made into out of my bottles. I am afraid that the last few bottles got a big dose of sugar and will probably explode.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:29 AM   #4
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1188

I stir but if you racked and got a swirling effect and had a good boil for 10 min with priming sugar it should mix.Now i have been kind of not really worrying about temps when i do it so adding it warm, weather it mixes better im not shure but if i knew for shure i would do it. Some people dont really bother to cool it much before priming, but unfortunatly for me if i boil sugar first then do every thing else to bottle its cooled by then any way, so my guess would be if its warm then maybe it would distribute better? Just a guess. Just in the future you could use a sanitized spoon after and randomly stir it while bottleing being carefull not to splash it and oxidize it . As far as stirring it do it,it looks the same as racking it as long as your not splashing it around.
I usually just stir it a bit with the end of the tube after racking about a minute ,never had issues yet.
Oh and this is also why i drink my bottles from last bottled to first.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:42 AM   #5
LAKing
Recipes 

I'm definitely going to stir better next time. Should I be worried about bottle bombs though? I'm pretty sure the last few bottles must have had a lot of sugar in them. 1.075 is REALLY high.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:53 AM   #6
ozzy1038
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Rack onto the priming solution and there will be no need to stir. As mentioned if your hose is in the bucket and there is a swirling motion the solution will go into solution. LOL. As it fills from the bottom it is constantly mixing and diluting the solution with your beer. Stirring is not needed and may inadvertently oxidize your beer.

Primary: Hopped Up Brown

Bottled: Litehaus Wheat, Orange APA, Rauchbier, Willy's Cream Stout

Kegged: Tank 7 Clone renamed "Le Ferme" (dryhopped cascade, sorachi), Caramel Amber Ale, Trout Bum APA, 3 Dogs APA

Gallons Brewed Since June: 53.5

Old 09-08-2011, 03:58 AM   #7
Germelli1
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy1038 View Post
Rack onto the priming solution and there will be no need to stir. As mentioned if your hose is in the bucket and there is a swirling motion the solution will go into solution. LOL. As it fills from the bottom it is constantly mixing and diluting the solution with your beer. Stirring is not needed and may inadvertently oxidize your beer.
I always stir...but make sure I don't splash. Just extra insurance against uneven carbonation.

Op...I hate to say it but I would hate for you to have to clean up a mess. 1.075 with without a doubt, definitely cause bottle bombs. A change as little as .003 (disclaimer figure) to .005 (more all encompassing) can cause bottle bombs. You can bet .060 will do the trick

If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

Old 09-08-2011, 04:18 AM   #8
ozzy1038
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Not that this helps, but if you keg, this will never be a concern again. :-)

Primary: Hopped Up Brown

Bottled: Litehaus Wheat, Orange APA, Rauchbier, Willy's Cream Stout

Kegged: Tank 7 Clone renamed "Le Ferme" (dryhopped cascade, sorachi), Caramel Amber Ale, Trout Bum APA, 3 Dogs APA

Gallons Brewed Since June: 53.5

Old 09-08-2011, 06:02 AM   #9
wolfstar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 106

+1 ^

Check out Hidden Valley Wolfdog Sanctuary on facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hidden...82770901746380

Working to save unwanted Wolfdogs from euthenasia, and educating the public about the joys and trials of Wolfdog and other exotic canid companionship.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:49 AM   #10
LKABrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I started kegging for this exact reason. I had the same experience, and had a whole batch undercarbed.

For homebrew supplies and equipment in Fredericksburg, VA go to thebrewshop.biz.

Quick Reply