Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Priming Sugar: Raw Sugar?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2008, 06:06 PM   #1
Vared
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Priming Sugar: Raw Sugar?

Hello, I'm new to this site and homebrewing in general.

How well does raw (unrefined) sugar work as a priming sugar for bottle carbonation?

Mod edit: This is not extract specific: It's been moved to the relevant forum.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2008, 06:09 PM   #2
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yeast is still alive and active when you bottle. The yeast then use the sugar added just prior to bottling as more food. One of the byproducts of this process is carbon dioxide. Since the CO2 is locked into the bottle, it has nowhere to go so it is absorbed into the beer creating carbonation. HOORAY BEER!

Old 07-26-2008, 08:04 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Raw sugar is ok...the standard though for homebrewers is corn sugar....followed by dry malt extract.

Now saying that different sugars will have different effects. If there's any "flavor" in the sugar, say using brown sugar, after the sugar ferments any unfermentables that contribute to the flavor of that sugar will be left behind.

A couple of craft breweries prime their bottle conditioned pumpkin ales with brown sugar, and you definitely get the mollases flavor in the beer, it is excellent.

Also if you use different sugars, you may need to use different amounts of it to acheive the correct volume of CO2...google priming amounts for different sugars...there's a couple good charts floating around the web.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-27-2008, 08:25 PM   #4
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

One can even prime with honey. But honey's sugar content can vary quite a bit, particularly between cheap brands and raw honey from a local apiary.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 07-27-2008, 09:18 PM   #5
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Tbh, I have primed several batches with regular Cane Sugar and I didn't get any 'Cidery' off flavors. They are very similar in terms of fermentables, but will give you a little higher amount of carbonation per unit weight so make sure you use the right calculator.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:57 AM   #6
Vared
Recipes 

Thanks for the help. I'm sure ya'll hear from me again pretty soon.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:24 AM   #7
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here is a carbination chart that i use.
Drinking: Yakima Blonde (Imperialized), Banana Wheat, Russian Imperial Stout, and anything i can get my hands on
On Deck: Watermelon Wheat, Red Panda Ale, Gluten Free Brown Ale, Mojito IPA, Smoked Pepper Stout

Quick Reply