New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Priming Sugar Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
mjune613
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Priming Sugar Question

I recently just completed my first batch of 5 gallon American Amber and the kit I used said to use 5 oz of priming sugar and when I started to drink it I could tell there was a ton of carbonation. I felt as though it was over carbonated. There was tons of head to the beer when it was poured. Anyone have an idea on how much priming sugar should be used?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #2
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjune613 View Post
I recently just completed my first batch of 5 gallon American Amber and the kit I used said to use 5 oz of priming sugar and when I started to drink it I could tell there was a ton of carbonation. I felt as though it was over carbonated. There was tons of head to the beer when it was poured. Anyone have an idea on how much priming sugar should be used?
It varies quite a bit, there are lots of calculators like this one.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter11-4.html

Go Spartans!!

http://www.youtube.com/MrSparty1995

Old 02-25-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
colin985
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I had this same problem on my first batch. I think mine was because I followed the directions on the can and bottled after 10 days. Lol. In my case I think the yeast just still had lots to do when I added even more sugar. You can always gas the bottles and recap them. Just remove the caps and let them vent for a couple minutes then cap them again. It should help the problem. In the meanwhile be careful of bottle bombs ;-). I'm sure someone who knows more than me will chime in here soon. Cheers

Old 02-25-2013, 12:36 PM   #4
SagamoreAle
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Either they gave you too much sugar or your brew hadn't completely fermented out before you bottled.

Keep the bottles as cold as possible. The warmer they are, the better chance that the bottles will rupture.

If you're lucky enough, you can just open the bottles, let them sit for a while to degas, then recap them. However the odds are that they will just foam over when you open them. If so do the following (tedious) procedure:

- Lift the cap very lightly with a churchkey, just until you hear gas starting to escape. Don't take the cap off, the bottle will just foam over
- If you start getting foam, tighten down with your bottle capper
- repeat until you can lift the cap lightly without it foaming over.

At some point drink a test bottle. Use this to calibrate your degassing process, and to reduce the overall tedium

Ex fermentum, scientia.

Quick Reply