Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > priming sugar qty in 12oz vs. 22oz. bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2010, 06:44 PM   #1
axr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default priming sugar qty in 12oz vs. 22oz. bottles

Hey homebrewers-

Does the amount of priming sugar used (5oz) change when bottling in 12 oz bottles versus 22oz bottles? A LHBS advised me that 'due to the physics' of the 22oz. bottles less priming sugar would be needed to achieve the same level of carbonation. I find this odd.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2010, 06:52 PM   #2
Clonefarmer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I use the same amount since sometimes I bottle both types in the same batch and never had an issue.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:56 PM   #3
Turlian
Recipes 

Your local LHBS is dumb, you know, due to physics.

While you may have a different ratio of headspace to liquid, the amount of CO2 created needs to be the same per volume of liquid, thus you need the same amount of food for your yeasties.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:56 PM   #4
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

your LHBS is crazy. The bottle size does not matter. If you add the sugar to the full batch then split into various sized bottles it will all carbonate the same.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:59 PM   #5
MikeG
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I know those that carbing in a keg (1 bottle) with priming sugar add far less than 5oz used for ~50 bottles.

That being said I mix 12 and 22 oz bottles on same batch so I don't worry about it, 5oz is my standard and run with it.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:02 PM   #6
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
I know those that carbing in a keg (1 bottle) with priming sugar add far less than 5oz used for ~50 bottles.
Since when? When I did prime my kegs with sugar I always used the same rate I would for bottles.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:11 PM   #7
chefmike
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by maida7 View Post
Since when? .
I reckon the laws of physics must have been updated in late 2009. I overcarbed a couple kegs using the 5 gallon bottling amounts for sugar.

I guess your mileage varied. ??
Building: gardens, recipes, and trailer mounted smoker/ wood pizza oven

Old 03-26-2010, 07:17 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4359 Times on 3169 Posts
Likes Given: 848

Quote:
Since when? When I did prime my kegs with sugar I always used the same rate I would for bottles.
I use about 1/2 the amount of priming sugar to prime a keg as I would for bottling. The reason is that there is a large volume of liquid in relation to the small amount of headspace. For a 5 gallon keg, I use approximately 2-2.5 ounces of priming sugar.

That said, for bottles, I wouldn't sweat it at all. The differing amount of headspace in relation to volume in a 22 ounce bottle vs a 12 ounce bottle would be negligible.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:23 PM   #9
MikeG
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/highly-carbonated-beer-keg-priming-sugar-61199/

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
I use about 1/2 the amount of priming sugar to prime a keg as I would for bottling. The reason is that there is a large volume of liquid in relation to the small amount of headspace. For a 5 gallon keg, I use approximately 2-2.5 ounces of priming sugar.

That said, for bottles, I wouldn't sweat it at all. The differing amount of headspace in relation to volume in a 22 ounce bottle vs a 12 ounce bottle would be negligible.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/how-much-priming-sugar-keg-105601/

You prob have a relief valve on your keg, once it's carbed it'll just escape.

Back to topic, I'd stick with the same volume unless you were doing all 22oz then you might want to adjust.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:48 PM   #10
GLoBaLReBeL
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I have read that 1 - 1.5" of head space for bottling is recommended. But, is this amount of head space different when talking about 22 oz? What about the much bigger 1 liter swing tops?

I have stuck to basically 1.25" of head space for my latest batch and they are basically 90% 1 Liter swing tops. I do use the Grolsh (sp?) beer bottles that are 16 oz. and leave the same amount of head space. I actually just popped one in the fridge after 1.5 weeks at 78-81F and left it in there for 2 days and it was not that bad! I have one of the 1Liter ones sitting in the fridge right now, after 2.5 weeks and Its going to sit in there for another day (4 total) to see how it turns out.

I'm seriously just testing out time frames and so forth. I will be putting the rest of my bottles in tomorrow, and will be leaving them there for a week to allow all the Co2 to be absorbed into the beer, so i can have them ready for Easter

Quick Reply