Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Priming sugar in force carbonated kegs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2012, 05:33 AM   #1
Agdarnell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Priming sugar in force carbonated kegs

Ok so my girlfriend got me two kegs and all the goodies to go along with it for my birthday and they just came in today! So I have known about this comming and I waited to bottle and am planning on kegging my sierra nevada pale ale tomorrow! My question is I am planning to force carbonate (I know its not recomended but for the first batch in the keg I am really impatient!) and I was wondering if I should use any carbonating sugar if I am planning on force carbonating?? Any help would be awesome! Brew on!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 05:35 AM   #2
baddad
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

No , if you are using co2 ,just set your pressure ,and wait a week .

Old 02-23-2012, 05:42 AM   #3
Agdarnell
Recipes 

And what pressure do yall recommend? From what I have read put it to 30psi and then bring it back down to 11psi when you are ready to dispense? Is this correct? I almost feel I am to new to brewing to start kegging (I have 5 batches under my belt but 4 are still in the works I have only actually tried 1) but at the same time I am super excited and no matter what happens I will continue to brew and try and get better!

Old 02-23-2012, 09:05 AM   #4
ETCS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Here is my process. After beer is cold crashed in the keg, I set CO2 to 30 lbs for 24 hours and then vent the keg and reduce pressure to 12 - 15 lbs and let it for a week. After a week, I pour a glass and go from there.

Brewers make wort, Yeast make beer!!!!

Old 02-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #5
slogger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've bled the O2 out and force carbed my kegs at 30 psi for 24 hours and gently agitated them to get the CO2 into solution. it definately works if you are anxious to drink your beer, but i have found it's worth the wait to set at 11 psi for a week and let it age a little longer. I feel that its worth the wait! astes much better and FWIW I've overcarbonated when force carbing at 30 psi. That is no good - takes about five minutes to pour a pint - too much foam.

Quick Reply