*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Priming Sugar Debacle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 02:38 AM   #1
mountainbrew82
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Priming Sugar Debacle

We bottled a 1.5 gallon batch of Pale Ale and screwed up the amount of priming sugar we used (probably because we were having a few home brews).

We have have 16 bottled beers, but we realized after we put them away to condition, that we did not put in enough priming sugar.

We put in 2 tsps for 1.5 gallons. But we think we should have put in about 10 tsps.

Can we fix this? Or will be get something that is fairly carbonated?

thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 03:00 AM   #2
BrewMasta
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 15

http://brewblogger.net/index.php?pag...&section=sugar

Check this link out, you have to input the volume of beer, the temp the beer will be stored, the level, or volume of carbonation your type of beer requires. At the bottom of page you will notice it gives you suggestions for the carbonation levels based on style. This should help for the future, I'm not sure what's to tell you to do now, but I would likely open them up, put come fizz drops in, and re-cap them.

" life is like a case of beer, you must enjoy it every day"

- ToastedBlonde Ale in Bottles
- Zesty Pale Ale in primary #1
- Belma 60 IPA in primary #2
- Belgian Wheat IPA in primary #3
- White IPA on deck
- ESB on deck

* Member of the Maniacal Association of Shoreline Home-brewers, CT

Old 02-01-2013, 03:51 AM   #3
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 327 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Based off of my priming sugar calculator (link in my sig), I'm looking at a little over nine teaspoons (specs actually say .19 cups of corn sugar, and 48 teaspoons in a cup... .19 * 48 = 9.12 tsp).

Carb drops may be the best fix. Or, you could boil up another ~7 tsp in a very small amount of water, then cool it. Use a dropper/medicine syringe to squirt equal parts into every bottle.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 02-05-2013, 03:14 AM   #4
mountainbrew82
Recipes 

Thanks for the tips. We ended up uncapping and adding a few tablets to each bottle. Not the way we wanted it to go but hoping the end product is carbonated enough. It tasted great before we bottled.

Quick Reply