Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Priming Sugar Amount?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2011, 01:10 PM   #1
spazzy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Priming Sugar Amount?

Hey everyone, I had some extra ingredients and I brewed a 1 gallon batch. I will be bottling it later today. I'm assuming that I just divide the 3/4c priming sugar by 5 to get .15 cups. I then converted that to tablespoons for ~2.5.

2.5 tablespoons just seems like a tiny amount though. Anyone care check my work?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2011, 01:15 PM   #2
insubordinateK
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Sounds about right.

Data is good. Post your data.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:22 PM   #3
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2301 Times on 2002 Posts
Likes Given: 1717

Try running the numbers through a priming calculator; TastyBrew.com | Homebrewing Calculators | Botting Priming Calculator

Old 12-02-2011, 02:31 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

It's always better to measure priming sugar (or any dry ingredient for that matter) by weight instead of volume. Recently Alton Brown did a demo where he had two identical sized containers of flour one where the flour appeared to fill more of the container then the other. When he weighed them the larger appearing volume of flour actually weighed the same as the container that appeared to have less. Dry material will settle. So measuring by volume is faulty.

So get a cheap digital scale and weigh out your sugar instead.

That being the case, the "standard" for producing between 2 and 2.5 volumes of co2 (the average carb level for most beers) is 1 ounce/gallon of beer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-14-2011, 07:02 PM   #5
MattyIceGfunk
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just thought I would add on instead of starting a new thread. I'm about to bottle my Belgian Tripel I've had in primary for 2 1/2 weeks. I am going to use table sugar for the first time for priming and can't figure out how much to use for 5 gallons. I plugged in the into that calculator but the amounts given doesn't seem right. Any ideas?

Quick Reply