The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Priming Sugar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2013, 01:23 AM   #11
raymadigan
M+ Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
For me, I always use a scale. And I always use .75-1 ounce of corn sugar per finished gallon of beer. I use .75 ounces for beers that I like with a little less carb, and 1 ounce for others. It works perfectly! No flat beer, no guessing about temperature, and no bottle bombs.
I have a scale that I use for hops, it measures to 1/8th of an oz. Now that I know the program it is easy. One problem with the web is knowing what to believe. There are so many differing techniques. I really appreciate HBT and the people here, there is so much experience.

Thank you for all of your hep.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2013, 01:27 AM   #12
whoaru99
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymadigan View Post
I'm just trying to figure out if I have this right. I just had to pour out 24 bottles of an over carbonated centennial blonde and it hurt so bad to do it. Two bottles blew up in the case they were in and when I opened the others after the foam filled the sink, I had about an inch in the bottom of each bottle.
Almost sounds more like an infection than over carbing.

Primary: Edwort's Apfelwein
Secondary: Russian Imperial Stout
Drinking: Chinook IPA
Drinking: Waldo Lake Amber
Drinking: Edwort's Apfelwein

Old 08-23-2013, 06:44 AM   #13
raymadigan
M+ Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post
Almost sounds more like an infection than over carbing.
Well, it tasted pretty good, it was bierMuncher's Centennial Blonde I drank some, cooked with some. I'm not sure exactly what went wrong. I left it in the primary for 4 weeks and the fg was right where it should be. All I could think of is priming sugar, too much of it.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:55 PM   #14
whoaru99
Recipes 

I've drank a brew or two that I think was infected (did same thing, just kept foaming and foaming after opening the bottles) but was still tasted good enough to drink at the time.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:52 AM   #15
raymadigan
M+ Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post
I've drank a brew or two that I think was infected (did same thing, just kept foaming and foaming after opening the bottles) but was still tasted good enough to drink at the time.
What evidence did you note that made you think it was an infection. I'm fairly new to this and would like to know how to understand this. I really have no idea what could have caused his, maybe next time I should keep a couple of bottles and open them at different intervals to see if it somehow re veils itself.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:57 AM   #16
Elijah
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

This is a somewhat scary thread!
No matter how many threads I read on priming the infamous bottle explosions hinder. I may only assume that maybe ending with a flatter than expected beer is still much better than ending with beer bombs. Also maybe as a total beginner using plastic bottles would make things safer!?

Even after I have recalculated the amount of priming sugar for my beer I get 109 gr per 20 liters (3.8 ounce per ~5 gallon) that's for 2.3 vols - Beersmith.

Can anyone let me know what is 2.3 vols? e.g. a Heineken would be 2 vols!

Old 08-27-2013, 04:04 AM   #17
whoaru99
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymadigan View Post
What evidence did you note that made you think it was an infection.
Reading here and elsewhere about gusher infections.

Over carbing can cause gushers but, as I understand it, this sort of gusher mostly subsides once the pressure is relieved. Whereas, a gusher infection will just keep foaming and foaming and foaming out until most of the bottle is gone.

As I also understand it, early on you may not even be able to tell the difference between early stage gusher infection and overcarbing because the gusher infection can take a while before it really affects the taste.

What's going on for you may not be a gusher infection, but that's what it sounds like to me.

There is plenty of reading on it here... paste the line below into Google, et al. search.

gusher infection site:homebrewtalk.com

Quick Reply