Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Priming sugar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
penguin69
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Priming sugar

When you boil and fissile the priming sugar, should you drop the temp down to the beer temp ? Can you just leave it hot and put it the bottling bucket and add the beer?
Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
Unibrow
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 9

You should cool down the priming solution a bit...after its boiled, I usually let it sit for about 20 or 30 minutes while I clean my bottles

I'm trying to catalog every brew online so I don't have to keep notes all over the house. Check it out on my blog site below:

http://brewzak.wordpress.com/

Old 11-23-2012, 01:47 PM   #3
dcarter
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 10

You should only have about a cup of water to dissolve the sugar so it doesn't take long to cool. A few minutes on the stove with the heat off is enough.

My trash heap fridge rescue and conversion to a first class fermentation chamber

If you don't like your job, you don't strike!.....You just go in everyday and do it really half a$$ed, THATS the American way! - Homer J Simpson

Old 11-23-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1836 Times on 1618 Posts
Likes Given: 1309

I boi 2C of water to get a thinner solution. I think it dissolves easier. A cup of sugar & a cup of water makes a simple syrup. Too think imo.
Revvy Likes This 
Old 11-23-2012, 02:01 PM   #5
penguin69
Recipes 

Awesome. Thank for the help. I cooled my first batch but not the second.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:04 PM   #6
dcarter
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
I boi 2C of water to get a thinner solution. I think it dissolves easier. A cup of sugar & a cup of water makes a simple syrup. Too think imo.
"Tomato, Tomahto" Sugar "solution" is sugar "solution". Once its in the water its just a matter of preference. I use 1 cup of water and 3/4ths cup of corn sugar.

My trash heap fridge rescue and conversion to a first class fermentation chamber

If you don't like your job, you don't strike!.....You just go in everyday and do it really half a$$ed, THATS the American way! - Homer J Simpson

Old 11-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #7
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 707 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 221

I've quit cooling my sugar solution. I start the beer racking to the bottling bucket and when I have an inch or 2 of beer in there I pour in the hot priming sugar solution. A pint of hot water in 5 gallons of cool beer won't change the temperature much and the few billion yeast cells I kill don't make much difference in the amount of yeast left for carbonating my beer.

Old 11-23-2012, 03:22 PM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 1836 Times on 1618 Posts
Likes Given: 1309

This isn't just interpretation nor pronounciation. Equal amounts of sugar & water will be thicker than 2 to 1. I just prefer it thinner. Heavier solutions don't necessarilly cool faster due to increased density.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:02 PM   #9
dcarter
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
I've quit cooling my sugar solution. I start the beer racking to the bottling bucket and when I have an inch or 2 of beer in there I pour in the hot priming sugar solution. A pint of hot water in 5 gallons of cool beer won't change the temperature much and the few billion yeast cells I kill don't make much difference in the amount of yeast left for carbonating my beer.
With the tiny amount of water that is used for priming, there really isn't enough energy to damage your yeast population overall. Letting it sit and cool isn't required but at the same time, it's not going to hurt anything. After all were only talking about a cup of solution give or take.

If you are worried about the heat, then I would suggest adding the boiled sugar solution to the bucket before racking beer into it. Give a few swirls and the cool bucket and the tremendous surface area that it contacts will zap the energy from your priming sugar almost immediately. Then just rack on top of it.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

It really doesn't matter how you add it, within seconds of it making contact with the beer you're racking into the bucket, it's going to be cooled down. It's really ONLY a matter of personal process, it doesn't harm the beer to add it directly boiling, warm, or cold....It's ONLY about preference.

As to amount two cups is the standard. I even use that amount when priming 2.5 gallon batches. It just seems a good amount of liquid to boil and disperse into the beer.

Even when using an alternative sugar, like for example some liquid syrup of some sort (for example date palm mollasses) if you calculate the amount of sugar in the liquid, and how much you need, say 3/4 of a cup, I take that and add it to enough water to make 2 cups of priming solution, then heat it to sanitize it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply