Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Priming solution question...help!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2009, 12:21 AM   #1
fotomatt1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Priming solution question...help!!

Just boiled my priming sugar and am waiting for it to cool so I can rack to the bottling bucket and bottle. How cool should the priming solution be before I combine it with the beer? Also, should I add to the bottling bucket first, and then rack the beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2009, 12:30 AM   #2
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 454 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Your priming sugar doesn't need to be all the way down to room temp, but you don't want it hot. I usually cool it down to the point where I can put my hand on the bottom of the pan comfortably before I use it.

Pour the sugar water in the bottling bucket and then rack onto it. That way it's already halfway mixed with your beer. Then give it a good but gentle stir after you rack to make sure it's mixed in. I usually give it a stir once or twice partway through bottling too just to make sure it's not settling out.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 08-11-2009, 01:24 AM   #3
marubozo
I can has homebrew?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5367 Times on 5226 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Yep, what Cat said. As long as you're able to put your hand to the pot without a problem, it's cool enough. No need to get too crazy with trying to bring it to exactly the same temp as the beer.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:01 PM   #4
Arkador
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I'v poured it into the bottom of my bottling bucket at almost 200deg and just racked my wort onto it and carbed up perfectly every time.

By the time there is 1gal in there it is cooled off from mixing.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:04 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2727 Times on 1635 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkador View Post
I'v poured it into the bottom of my bottling bucket at almost 200deg and just racked my wort onto it and carbed up perfectly every time.

Yep, me too....But usually since it is factored into my entire process as outlined in my Bottling tips thread, I end up with it cooling about 15-20 minutes these days.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-11-2009, 03:09 PM   #6
Buffman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkador View Post

+1. I never wait for it to cool. The heat in such a small amount of water dissipates very quickly once you start racking.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:12 PM   #7
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Liked 2759 Times on 2710 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Do you guys all boil the water with the sugar in it for 15 minutes? Or boil the water, remove form heat and dissolve the sugar into it? It seemed I always had an off flavor when bottling that didn't show up until it was in bottles and I think it was from boiling the sugar. It was a twang, but was present even with Ag batches. But I'm not willing to bottle another batch to test it since it's not an issue with my kegging.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 08-11-2009, 03:22 PM   #8
marubozo
I can has homebrew?

Recipes 

Liked 5367 Times on 5226 Posts
Likes Given: 222

I don't boil the sugar. I just bring the water up to a boil for sanitation purposes and then remove from the heat and add the sugar.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:24 PM   #9
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 454 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I get my water to a boil, pull it off the burner, stir in my sugar and then put it back on the heat until it just reaches a boil again, then shut it off.

I'm not sure if I would want to rack onto near-boiling priming sugar, myself. I'd rather give it a little time to cool rather than poach a portion of my beer and my poor little yeasties. I know it comes out fine for those that do, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I'd imagine hearing the poor little guys screaming as they hit the hot sugar water.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 08-11-2009, 03:29 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2727 Times on 1635 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I boil for about 5 minutes then turn the stove off. If it is 15 minutes @ whatever the temp to pasturize is, I figure 5 minutes at a rolling boil should do the same thing...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply