Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > priming solution question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #21
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Clad View Post
I guess I should have been more clear. It has been a reoccurring theme for me. As in, I have jacked this up more than once.
Then why do you keep doing it wrong then? If it's not working, it's not that bottling is difficult, it's that you're taking a simple process and over-complicating it, or oversimplifying it.

You boil 1 oz/gallon of beer's worth of corn sugar in two cups of water (or more or less sugar if you are carbing to style using a calculator or chart,) or the correct amount if using table sugar you pour that in the bottom of a bottling bucket while you are siphoning the beer into the bottom of said bucket. You let the beer and priming solution mix as the beer fills the bucket. (If you really don't trust that it will mix properly, you can simply pour half the solution in the bucket, and the second half when half the beer is racked)

You fill bottles up to the top of the lip with a bottling wand pull the wand out which sets the proper amount of headspace. You cap them, you put them in a place where the temp is above 70 degrees. and you don't touch them for a MINIMUM of three weeks.

That's really the whole simple process in a nutshell, it's not complicated, it's not rocket science. It's a basic process. It requires very little thought.

I've bottled for 7 years and never had a batch not carb eventually up by doing this, not had a batch that didn't carb up evenly.

The only batch that never carbed correctly was one where I accidentally used lactose instead of corn sugar. But that was my fault, not the bottling process.

It really is foolproof.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply