Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > priming questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #11
mattyboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Hi yes the beer had finished fermentation.
The keg I referred to was a plastic one witch has a valve ontop like the one in the photo sorry for any confusion

forumrunner_20121206_140625.jpg

I was told it was ok to prime with sugar and told to use 120g for 23L coopers lager.
I bottled 10 pints and left the rest so I would be able to pull a pint off the barrel when ever I needed to.
I was told that I would need to use co2 when the barrel ran out of pressure so as to keep the beer from getting infected and keep the beer fresh.
Just hope I've been given the right advice

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 05:40 PM   #12
Brewskii
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyboy
Hi yes the beer had finished fermentation.
The keg I referred to was a plastic one witch has a valve ontop like the one in the photo sorry for any confusion

I was told it was ok to prime with sugar and told to use 120g for 23L coopers lager.
I bottled 10 pints and left the rest so I would be able to pull a pint off the barrel when ever I needed to.
I was told that I would need to use co2 when the barrel ran out of pressure so as to keep the beer from getting infected and keep the beer fresh.
Just hope I've been given the right advice
Cool;

Ive not seen one of those before. I'd say your on the right track...sorta like a plastic Firkin. Looks like a simple outlet cock on that. Once it's carbed I would think it would be tough to get a good pour off of it. As long as they told you it's pressure rated I'd say you are on the right track.

Leave it sealed and as long as there are no leaks It should carb in 1-2 weeks depending on the headspace.
*edit:
I would double check with the manufacturer or whomever sold it to you that you are using it as intended. My instinct would be not to trust it and it sounds from the OP that that's your instinct as well.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #13
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewskii View Post
I would double check with the manufacturer or whomever sold it to you that you are using it as intended. My instinct would be not to trust it and it sounds from the OP that that's your instinct as well.
+1
I only have the picture to go by, but it doesn't look particularly sturdy. Proceed with caution.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #14
Nagorg
If a frog had wings...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 22

That looks more like a fermentation vessel....

Old 12-06-2012, 08:42 PM   #15
radiomarshall
Recipes 

That keg is fine for what you are using it for. I do the same with mine. It sounds like the right amount of sugar. How long have you had your beer in there?
Keep in mind it works the same as a bottle. It will need at least three weeks before the gas spreads into the beer (if that makes sense)

I'm not a pro but I have experience with kegs.

How full is the keg? I think it needs to be at least 3/4 full to work properly.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:16 PM   #16
mattyboy
Recipes 

Hi it's only been in the barrel for 5 days so it's got a wile to go.
It's about 3/4 full and even after 5 days it's looking good looks to be clearing nice. Thanks for the video link
I've just done a wine kit for my brother and he loves it lol.
Now I'm home here is a pic of my keg
Thanks guys for all your comments

forumrunner_20121206_221636.jpg

Old 12-06-2012, 09:37 PM   #17
radiomarshall
Recipes 

Not sure if I've given you the right advice now. From that pic it looks like you're using a pressure release valve. Doesn't that mean you will have to add CO2 afterwards?

More info here:
http://www.thebrewshop.com/contents/en-uk/d79.html

Old 12-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #18
mattyboy
Recipes 

I think so ? I was told to add co2 as and when I needed to ie when the pressure dropped? Anyway it should be ok I think as its just a barrel and the pressure relief valve should keep it at the right pressure.
I've got 2 of this type and I've got a coopers lager fermenting as I speak but this time I'll use co2 and no priming sugar and see how it go's.
I've read post after post and looked all over the net for info but there is so much to learn it's hard to take it all in lol.
It's a big leaning curve.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:02 AM   #19
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 286 Times on 238 Posts

It's definitely a big learning curve, but you'll get there. You'll be learning for years, so don't think you are going to master the art anytime soon.

As far as the pressure relief, does your CO2 source have a regulator? I'd hate to hear you hooked up a tank and its pressure was above the max of your valve and it just emptied itself.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:51 AM   #20
mattyboy
Recipes 

No all I do is screw the co2 bottle on and give it a couple of squirts and the relief valve will release any over pressure.

Quick Reply