Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > priming questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #1
mattyboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default priming questions

Hi guys just have a question for you all.
I just kegged my lager and I primed my plastic keg with sugar.
I bottled about 10 bottles and the rest is clearing nice.
My question is there is a lot of pressure in the keg and I have not put any co2 into yet
Is this from the sugar 230g I put in and also have I done it right. Most people by the looks of it bulk prime and then bottle but I've primed the barrel and let it carbonate by its self.
Any suggestions would be great
Thanks guys

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

What size batch? 230g of sugar seems like a lot for 5 gallons. And yes, the pressure you are getting is from the yeast fermenting this sugar.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
mattyboy
Recipes 

Sorry guys I should reread my post before posting lol
I primed with 120g of sugar

Old 12-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #4
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 970 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 2037

Not sure what you mean by a plastic keg, perhaps more info or pictures would help.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:04 AM   #5
Nagorg
If a frog had wings...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I havent started kegging yet. But I didnt think you needed to prime if force carbing with CO2. I would also think that if you did add priming sugar to the keg then you wouldnt really need CO2 unless it were to maintain the pressure or something. Like I said, I havent started kegging so I am probably confused.... Looking forward to learning though...

Other than that, the sugar amount seems right for a 5 gallon batch though I usually use a bit more at ~142g. But I like a well carbed brew!

Old 12-06-2012, 11:16 AM   #6
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 297 Times on 248 Posts

Did you prime the whole batch with 120g ad then put some of the batch in the keg? It did you put 120g of sugar in the keg.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:27 AM   #7
Brewskii
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 64 Posts

I sense a dangerous lack of knowledge about kegging and carbonation.

Kegging in plastic (??)

I hope I'm wrong in thinking that you might think that the brew will carbonate mearly from the addition of priming sugar. The real key to carbonation is CO2 pressure -and lots of it -too much for most plastic vessels. You either provide from a secondary source like a CO2 hi pressure bottle, or from the active yeast by priming. Either method only works in a closed system which will develope pressures in excess of say ~35 psi up to ??

I hope I'm wrong.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #8
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 297 Times on 248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewskii
The real key to carbonation is CO2 pressure -and lots of it -too much for most plastic vessels.
Lots of plastic vessels are fine for carbonation. For example, about a billion soda bottles that are produced every day. Mr. Beer kits come with plastic bottles. Also, I have seen small party kegs which are plastic, I believe they are called a party pig? I'm guessing that's a brand name.

If the vessel was designed for carbonated liquids, it should be fine...to a point. The brewer needs to understand how much carbonation will come from a set amount of sugar. I hope he does, or he is headed for a sticky mess.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:51 AM   #9
Brewskii
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by freisste

Lots of plastic vessels are fine for carbonation. For example, about a billion soda bottles that are produced every day. Mr. Beer kits come with plastic bottles. Also, I have seen small party kegs which are plastic, I believe they are called a party pig? I'm guessing that's a brand name.

If the vessel was designed for carbonated liquids, it should be fine...to a point. The brewer needs to understand how much carbonation will come from a set amount of sugar. I hope he does, or he is headed for a sticky mess.
Perhaps I should have clarified....You are correct, I was thinking in terms of large vessels -what the OP labeled a "keg". I don't think most people would be thinking of "about a billion soda bottles" as plastic kegs.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:56 AM   #10
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

1) there are 5 gallon plastic kegs/barrels
2) you can naturally carbonate beer in a keg like the OP is doing
3) pressurized CO2 is then used to dispense the beer (though this is not necessary if you are going for a traditional cask-conditioned style...though then you'll need a beer engine to dispense the beer)

To the OP - 120 grams is much more in line with what I would expect for 5 gallons. Are you sure the beer was finished? What was the FG?

My Beer Cellar

Quick Reply