Priming question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickel23

Reaction score
I have an ipa that I bottled 3 weeks ago. It was a basic cascade ipa from a brewers best kit. I used the correct amount sugar as directed by the kit and I have a good seal on all the bottles, but the bottles are still not carbonated very well. The beer also remains cloudy. The current temperature that I am storing at is about 65 degrees. Why aren't the bottles priming? This is my third batch and my previous two had no problems.

I agree, you want your bottles warmer for conditioning. I usually have mine between 72F and 74F and let them go a minimum of 2 weeks for light colored beers and 3 weeks for dark beers.

Mouse

Our master bedroom is the warmest room in the house,so that's where I store my cases of beer for carbing & conditioning. It can get up to 85 in that room during summer,or in winter with the heater on. Makes them carb up nice in 3-4 weeks. usual temp is 70-75 or so. If yours are still cloudy,I'm wondering if the beer was at a stable FG when you bottled?

Three weeks @ 70 degrees F is the baseline for normal beers. Higher gravities or lower temps can take longer.

If the beer isn't carbed in three weeks... give it another week.

I have an 8.5% Belgian golden strong that is still fairly flat after six weeks, and I'm not worried in the least. If you add the correct amount of priiming sugar and mix it well (boiling is best), the beer WILL carb 100% of the time. It may just take longer than you might like.

Thank you for all of the suggestions. I moved the bottles into a room that is consistently over 70 degrees. I will stay calm :)

I saw a thread a month or so back where someone mentioned putting the bottles in the oven and jacking it to 250 for about 12 hours. I asked if he was joking, but no response. Nor am I about to risk my precious beer on that experiment. I'm 99% sure it was in jest, but the other 1% has kept me wondering.

Can anyone confirm it was a total joke?

Since you can pasteurize at 190 degrees for 10 minutes and kill the yeast in the bottle, I would be confident that 250 degrees for 12 hours would also kill the yeast and would result in no carbonation. I'm sure it was meant in jest. :)

I pushed the temp to 75 degrees for a week and it primed perfectly. I will stay away from the bottles in my oven😉🍺

I saw a thread a month or so back where someone mentioned putting the bottles in the oven and jacking it to 250 for about 12 hours. I asked if he was joking, but no response. Nor am I about to risk my precious beer on that experiment. I'm 99% sure it was in jest, but the other 1% has kept me wondering.

Can anyone confirm it was a total joke?

Sorry for the necropost but it just occurred to me what was going on here. In pretty sure the person you're referring to was talking about a method of sanitising (sterilising?) empty bottles, not encouraging yeast. If someone says to bake your beer to help it carbonate, they're either joking or insane.

Back