Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > priming for minimal carbonation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2013, 01:27 AM   #1
CyberErik
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default priming for minimal carbonation?

I'm brewing a beer that I want minimally carbonated. I've heard 1/2 - 1.0 cups of priming sugar for a 5 gallon batch is typical. However I am brewing a vanilla coffee porter and want minimal carbonation for a smoother mouthfeel.

Is 1/2 a cup too much for a 5 gallon batch? Should I go to 1/4?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2013, 01:43 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberErik View Post
I'm brewing a beer that I want minimally carbonated. I've heard 1/2 - 1.0 cups of priming sugar for a 5 gallon batch is typical. However I am brewing a vanilla coffee porter and want minimal carbonation for a smoother mouthfeel.

Is 1/2 a cup too much for a 5 gallon batch? Should I go to 1/4?
Do you have a small kitchen scale, like you'd use for weighing hops? I don't know what "cups" weigh, but I weigh all of my items and it's far more accurate and especially important when dealing with small amounts.

If you want a low carbonation level, you could try priming to 1.8 volumes using a carbonation calculator and see where you get with that. I'd guess that would be about 2.5 ounces of corn sugar, but I don't know how many "cups" that would equal.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:09 AM   #3
woozy
Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Here's Northern Brewers priming calculator.

***BUT USE THE WEIGHT (grams or ounces) AND !!!!!NOT!!!!! THE CUPS MEASURE***

I know from experience that the cups (volume) is incorrect. (The ounces and grams are weight measures and are correct.) Volume measures are always less reliable but I measured my sugar out tablespoon by tablespoon once and found they were way off (2.5 oz simply was *not* 1/3 a cup).

[Out of curiosity, I wonder what the "volume" as in 2.7 volumes or 1.8 volumes refer to...]
====edit====
Well, maybe "way off" was a bit harsh. But I had about a four thirds as much volume to my weight as they did.

+++edit of an edit+++++

Just weighed half a cup of corn sugar on two of my scales. One measured 2 2/3 oz and 75 grams. the other 2 3/4 oz and 78 grams. According to NB calculator 1/2 cup of corn sugar is 99 grams and 3.49 oz.

Once it's determined that Bob's Net Works makes fishing equipment there's really no point discussing why nylon woven rope is not a good choice for the router and server needs of your online presence.

Quick Reply