Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Priming with honey - math issues

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
matt-tastic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Priming with honey - math issues

So, the Kolsch recipe i'm using provided 1 cup of dextrose. when i used the priming sugar calc on Northern Brewer (http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/), it recommended for a Kolsch to use 3/4 cups of dextrose.

That would be all well and good, except i'm using honey to prime, so i'm looking at the math and i either use 1/2 cup (going by northern brewer) or 3/4 if i go by the amount of dextrose they gave me and do the conversion.

I'm basically trying to prevent bottle bombs, as my wife will be watching the beer for me while i'm out of town for a few days

suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 86 Posts

Personally, that seems backwards. Dextrose shoudl have close to 45 points of sugar per pound (ie 1 lb of dextrose with enough water for 1 gallon of liquid has a gravity of 1.045 on the hydrometer).

Honey has about 35 points per pound (again, 1 pound of honey with enough water for 1 gallon = 1.035). Thus Honey has LESS sugars available for carbonation than dextrose, not more. Most recipes(5 gal) call for about 5 oz (3/4 cup) of 'sugar' for carbonation. In this case, using honey, you should use about 1 cup (about 6 oz by weight)

I don't know if Kolsch is supposed to have more CO2 or not if it is, then more honey. As for carbing with honey, if you want a honey flavor, this usually won't do it.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:40 PM   #3
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 86 Posts

I know why the volume is .5 cups, not more... Honey is probalby denser than the dextrose (damn air in it)... This is why I usually go by mass, not volume

Old 06-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 117 Posts

1/2 cup, but u really should be going by weight not volume

Old 06-13-2012, 08:11 PM   #5
matt-tastic
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts

i don't have a very accurate scale to go by weight, but it is on the list of things to get for brewing!

Thanks for all the info. It seems like the math is weird to me as well, because honey would seem to have less sugar by weight, but not by volume i guess.

If i can figure out how to get it by weight, i'll use the 6oz. I'm not going for a honey flavor, but i'd like the honey aroma if its possible. I have some raw local honey that should be a nice note in a light beer, if it works. we'll see!

Quick Reply